pics of johnes cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
with all these cases of johnes popping up everywhere i'd like to request some pics of the ones that have been tested and come up positive. seems like the only pics of johnes online are the same old two of the hostein with a lump and the emaciated jersey.

Beefy":rwggpssn said:
with all these cases of johnes popping up everywhere i'd like to request some pics of the ones that have been tested and come up positive. seems like the only pics of johnes online are the same old two of the hostein with a lump and the emaciated jersey.

Shoulda taken a picture of mine. She didn't look nearly as bad as you'd think. I understand that bottle jaw doesn't show up till late in the game . . . my didn't have bottle jaw. She probably had a BCS of 3 . . . I could see some ribs, hips, and a little backbone. The thing that caught my attention was a combination of things . . .

1. she was getting thinner while everyone else was staying thick
2. she had loose stool on her tail even though everyone else was stiff . . . though that kinda came and went
3. she had a great attitude and ate . . . well . . . like a cow

The look just like something that needs a good worming.

As has been mentioned on this board, she was on my cull list after this next calf because she wasn't an "easy keeper" and her calf was lighter than most. Many people have Johnes but just cull before their calves don't wean well and the cows aren't thrifty.

The conversations on this board are what made me decide to test.

angus9259":2xtlwc6k said:
Beefy":2xtlwc6k said:

Shoulda taken a picture of mine. She didn't look nearly as bad as you'd think. I understand that bottle jaw doesn't show up till late in the game . . . my didn't have bottle jaw. She probably had a BCS of 3 . . . I could see some ribs, hips, and a little backbone. The thing that caught my attention was a combination of things . . .

i was under the impression you had multiple cases based on your post about causes of bottlejaw.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52982

Beefy":8qcgl45l said:
i was under the impression you had multiple cases based on your post about causes of bottlejaw.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52982

I may have multiple carriers but don't know yet - vet's working up the testing protocol.

I really think the bottle jaw I've seen is unrelated and more of a dietary protein deficiency - the hay I have for them is late cutting grass. They have no other signs of Johnes and bottle jaw is a fairly late stage symptom . . . or so I've read. The other cattle are not losing body condition nor do they have loose stool. I put a 12% protein tub out and that seems to have subsided. But, till I have the testing done, anything's possible.

Sorry Beefy, I never thought of grabbing the camera, I was to p'd off at the time. She was SKINNY though even for a show Holstein.
Vet put a bullet in her as soon as he did a thorough check ( she had every symptom possible and I was in complete denial just hoping that the big bucks I spent on that b@tch was not wasted, let alone the fact that she could be infecting my calves... :mad: ) and then he pulled tissue for a BSE test and the Johnes test.

I however hope I NEVER EVER see a case in my herd again but if by some misfortunate situation it does occur I will take a pic and post it for you.

hillsdown":3fcg28s0 said:
Sorry Beefy, I never thought of grabbing the camera, I was to p'd off at the time. She was SKINNY though even for a show Holstein.
Vet put a bullet in her as soon as he did a thorough check ( she had every symptom possible and I was in complete denial just hoping that the big bucks I spent on that b@tch was not wasted, let alone the fact that she could be infecting my calves... :mad: ) and then he pulled tissue for a BSE test and the Johnes test.

I however hope I NEVER EVER see a case in my herd again but if by some misfortunate situation it does occur I will take a pic and post it for you.

Would you recognize it by looking at the animal?

i read a figure in a magazine or somewhere the other day that said 100% of farms with 500 or more head of cattle have it.

Yep.. dairys are breeding grounds for Johnes.. because of the high concentration of cattle in a small area. But since dairy cattle don't generally have long lives, it's producers wouldn't be so concerned about testing. When you think about a dairy cow only really being productive for 4 years or so, she wouldn't necessarily show symptoms before she was shipped anyway.

donnaIL":2icib8s4 said:
hillsdown":2icib8s4 said:

Would you recognize it by looking at the animal?

We would, but if you don't know what you are looking for NO.. She was open still and after timed AI'ing with a cidr protocol and a sh@t load of expensive semen because she was to be flushed I had given up. She was to skinny to cull so we just thought we would do a BSE test on her and get some money. As soon as DR. U saw her manure squirting out like pea soup he knew right away..We are not inexperienced with handling all health situations that may occur in a herd from a twisted stomach or bowl, to hardware or ph imbalances and we treat accordingly. That is one thing in dairy that you get exposed to from the onset.. Sh@t happens especially in a high producing herd ..
Anyways he was dead on the money ,,,I had /suspected for a few months already that that is what she had but like I said the high price I paid for her and the expensive semen I had already put in her ;;;I was in complete denial..

BTW it does happen in beef a lot, as has been posted so do not just SSS because you need to protect your future herd as well as everyone else's..