Pics of Cow/Calf, Any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
Bought this cow at a sale and she was already bred. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of bull she may have been bred to? Thanks. Calf weighed 80-90#. This bull calf was 2 days old in this pic. IS the white tail tip what's known as rat tail? or what is rat tail referred too? Thanks. (Yes I know she has one huge tit on that side lol. He not sucked it down yet/ She is a milker though!) Dunno what all she has in her either.. I know she has at least 1 red recessive gene. Only white on her is little on sac and small star on her forehead.

2013-04-06_19-00-57_892_zps9c7cc744.jpg

2013-04-06_19-00-26_275_zps8b254934.jpg

2013-04-06_18-59-39_458_zps8dc85c82.jpg

Oh ok, wow thanks. Just like it sounds... a rat's tail lol. What causes it or what breeds/crossbreeds are likely to throw it?

Rat tails are caused by a (color) diluter gene and black. About all you can tell from the calf is that it's daddy was red or at least carried a red gene.

Will a herf throw a motley/broken face like that or you think its more a gert/limo/red angus something? Aren't herfs usually full white headed?

machslammer":14q9mlwc said:
Oh ok, wow thanks. Just like it sounds... a rat's tail lol. What causes it or what breeds/crossbreeds are likely to throw it?
i get one are two a year outa simmX cows angus bulls... this year just one, thank God... :cowboy:

Bestoutwest":1y6dyhmb said:
Does having a rat tail ding you at the sale barn?
Here the general thought on a rat tail is that they lack a flyswatter so they spend more time moving trying to get away from flies instead of grazing and will gain less weight so they do take a hit.

machslammer":18rru0cy said:
Will a herf throw a motley/broken face like that or you think its more a gert/limo/red angus something? Aren't herfs usually full white headed?
Yes and in some cases they'll give a solid colored face. But the cow has some white face in her so it could be from her.

ALACOWMAN":3ltw7kb8 said:
as far as on the tit, they perform as good as the others... but that short hair coat is the killer on the feed lot... eats up a lot of energy

At the barns i sell at, seems like the buyers rather have the short hair as long.

machslammer":e0cia1fb said:

My gues is simmi or simmi cross, I would say most likely Hereford would not throw that calf ..... But who knows what is in moms wood pile.

herefordlover":1qsdqhgw said:
We have had calves that look like that out of herf bulls

We have too... in fact several already this year out of a Hereford bull and solid black cows, also one like that out of a red baldy.

LazyARanch":3ebot1h2 said:
herefordlover":3ebot1h2 said:
We have had calves that look like that out of herf bulls

We have too... in fact several already this year out of a Hereford bull and solid black cows, also one like that out of a red baldy.

Yep,Me too. I've got a heifer calf right now that is out of what appears to be a black angus cow was bred to my polled hereford bull had a calf just like this cept without the ear. BTW this same cow when I bought her 3 years ago she was bred to a horned hereford and had a black baldie bull?? So,she must have a red gene somewhere.B&G :cboy:

Looking at her she looks just like a black beefmaster cow I have, she through a bull calf that is duns colored, his sister has some brockling on her, Beefmaster are well known for brockle and motly face. based on looking at her loose skin i kinda think beefmaster breeding

machslammer":p9mb41o7 said:
ALACOWMAN":p9mb41o7 said:
as far as on the tit, they perform as good as the others... but that short hair coat is the killer on the feed lot... eats up a lot of energy

At the barns i sell at, seems like the buyers rather have the short hair as long.
this is a different kinda short .. they dont have the ability to hair up in the winter.. thier hide looks kinda like a elephant.... short and curly.. to almost no hair...so thats where they get you.. by the short and curlies
:cowboy: