(pics) need help identifying calf breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I still don't see the dairy in that calf.

Here's a holstein x angus heifer at ~1 month of age
bess7705.jpg

Same calf at 10 months
bess_mar06.jpg

Now I see the dairy in the heifer above - just look at that rump and the lack of bone - but I still don't see it in HB's calf.
calf.jpg

If she is dairy you should get a perfectly fine beef baby from her if you breed her to a beef breed bull. That's what my parents did when I was growing up, had some nice beefy calves from our mostly Jersey cow. She was bred to a Hereford. Yeah they may not look like the angus ads, but they will work out fine for your table.

JMO,
Susie

Hopeful Beginnings":8v2eryfz said:
Question for you????? Do they meat out dairy cows? If I were to breed her with a beef breed would the babies be okay for beef use (for our own use, not for sale). Thanks...

half dairy is still pretty good eating; you just dont get the volume of meat from them.

we have quite a few Angus X Holstein cows on our comm side. they raise a good calf and have lasted longer than any other cows we have.

I raised quite a few Brangus X Holsteins as a child that looked exactly like that when my father brought them home. He'd buy them from a local dairy and have us bottle feed them to weaning.

They make pretty good cows when crossed with a high growth beef breed. They have so much milk that their calves have no choice but to grow well until weaning. However, once they are weaned they soft of fall off of a cliff.

Latest posts