Pics from the herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Its always nice to see more Red Polls. I took pics of some of mine this week. We've just recently moved into a bigger place and I'm not sure which box my blue tooth is packed in so I can download them onto my computer, but will hopefully find it this week so I can perhaps add some pics myself. Looks like they're well cared for and happy and some nice calves as well.

djinwa":wve8h36q said:
So how do Red Poll differ from Red Angus?

They are a total different breed. They are one of the older British breeds like Angus and Herefords. In fact the American Red Poll Association is celebrating it's 125th Anniversary this year. There are not very many American cattle associations that have been around that long.

Impressive cattle. If I were a commercial breeder, I'd strongly consider crossing Red Polls with Herefords, and in my mind that's one of the best compliments I can give you.

greenwillowhereford II":rrbmhnls said:
Impressive cattle. If I were a commercial breeder, I'd strongly consider crossing Red Polls with Herefords, and in my mind that's one of the best compliments I can give you.

Thanks

I would love to do some crossbreeding to show how the Red Poll will help the commercial cattleman but at this time there is still a pretty good demand for registered animals. we have collected our bulls and selling some semen to a couple of commercial guys.

They work great in crossbreeding programs. We have been crossing them some. We used a chi-angus bull back 15 years ago to try to get some black show steers for the county fair. We still have one of the first black half blood cows that was born from that cross and she is 15 and I doubt if you could pick her out of the herd as being the oldest, and she probably has the best performing calf of this years calf crop on her. We had a half blood steer that we put in a state wide carcass show about 10 years ago while they still had that program and he was reserve grand overall, among all sorts of breeds and crosses. I also have some Simmental x Red Poll halfbloods that I would put up against any commercial cow in the country. I am hoping once we get an opportunity to expand our herd, to develop a planned crossbreeding program to sell replacements to the commercial guys in the state because our experience shows that they work great. I think that using a continental breed on them to add some grow and retail product would work the best.

Latest posts