• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pics from North of 56

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
2,463
Reaction score
202
Location
BC Peace River country
My wife snapped a few pics this afternoon. She has a pretty good eye I think.

Cows on the frozen tundra:


Hoar frost:


Sun setting in the north:
 
OP
Silver

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
2,463
Reaction score
202
Location
BC Peace River country
ALACOWMAN":17v7uc0h said:
TCRanch":17v7uc0h said:
Beautiful pics, the 2nd is my favorite.
yep pretty.. just glad it ain't here..I've had all of this winter I want...I want my south back..

Ya, I envy you southerners at times when our winter gets long. Then for six months I sure wouldn't trade you.
 

tncattle

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
1,973
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Silver":22iwh3ml said:
tncattle":22iwh3ml said:
What are your temps up there?

It was about +25F when the pics were taken. Been bouncing between -45 and +45F over the last month or so.
When its well below 0 how do the cattle get water? Do they just eat snow? I should know this answer but can't remember.
 
OP
Silver

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
2,463
Reaction score
202
Location
BC Peace River country
tncattle":2elx40cu said:
Silver":2elx40cu said:
tncattle":2elx40cu said:
What are your temps up there?

It was about +25F when the pics were taken. Been bouncing between -45 and +45F over the last month or so.
When its well below 0 how do the cattle get water? Do they just eat snow? I should know this answer but can't remember.

They licked snow for years, the last couple of years I've had them on water. Don't know if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better. They are spoiled now so if the trough goes down it's pretty much the end of the world.
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,243
Reaction score
69
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
Yes very good eye. I would imagine that a few weeks ago you could have taken a photo of the sunrise then have a coffee and turn around and take the sunset.

Ken
 
OP
Silver

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
2,463
Reaction score
202
Location
BC Peace River country
wbvs58":22dtinr1 said:
Yes very good eye. I would imagine that a few weeks ago you could have taken a photo of the sunrise then have a coffee and turn around and take the sunset.

Ken

That's about the size of it. And in June you never see it rise or set.
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,327
Reaction score
37
Location
Cleveland Tx
I look at these kind of frigid pictures of cattle and wonder sometimes if I'm just being foolish when I worry about mine being out in below 30 degF temps and frozen rain/sleet or just above freezing, windy and constant drizzle. One of my yearling bulls had icicles hanging off his haircoat last week, back humped up and just standing with his butt in the wind and it's one of the few times I've seen it here and I felt bad about it.

How much of a cow's ability to handle weather is genetic and how much is acclimation?
If one of my Char/sims were to go to your area during warm months, would it freeze to death in deep winter?
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,033
Reaction score
151
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
excellent pics!
We have really ugly weather right now, windy, raining.. I'd take freezing over this crud any day.. 15F is about perfect weather!
As long as the cows have a full belly and are dry, they do alright.. My cows start to get pizzed about the cold at -10F and they certainly eat more.
 
OP
Silver

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
2,463
Reaction score
202
Location
BC Peace River country
greybeard":103qdmzv said:
I look at these kind of frigid pictures of cattle and wonder sometimes if I'm just being foolish when I worry about mine being out in below 30 degF temps and frozen rain/sleet or just above freezing, windy and constant drizzle. One of my yearling bulls had icicles hanging off his haircoat last week, back humped up and just standing with his butt in the wind and it's one of the few times I've seen it here and I felt bad about it.

How much of a cow's ability to handle weather is genetic and how much is acclimation?
If one of my Char/sims were to go to your area during warm months, would it freeze to death in deep winter?

I think cold and wet is far worse than very cold and dry.
One of your cows if brought here might have a bit of a rough first winter but not bad, then would never look back. Probably come to thank me for adopting her every day during the summer :lol2:
 

Latest posts

Top