Pics for Bearded Pheasant Killer.

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Certainly not as pretty as your grouse or pheasant, here is our version of a pheasant.

IMG_5066.jpg

Guinea fowl was plentiful when I grew up and almost disappeared in recent years. The last 3 years our seasons was completely mixed up with rain in the dry seasona nd drought in the supposed wet season with the effect of the guinea fowl laying two batches of eggs and this seamed to have given the population a boost back to its former glory.

IMG_5071.jpg

Worst a$$ whippin I ever got was from trying to steal chicks from under a Guinea hen as they were hatchin. You can keep em Knersie. I never want to see another one as long as I live.

In the future I would advise all 5 year olds to pick easier game.

KNERSIE":3sw0ux13 said:
Certainly not as pretty as your grouse or pheasant, here is our version of a pheasant.

IMG_5066.jpg

Guinea fowl was plentiful when I grew up and almost disappeared in recent years. The last 3 years our seasons was completely mixed up with rain in the dry seasona nd drought in the supposed wet season with the effect of the guinea fowl laying two batches of eggs and this seamed to have given the population a boost back to its former glory.

IMG_5071.jpg

Im surprised the lions and tigers and bears havent eaten em.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":pk0ok9yr said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry i'm laughing Sigma but perhaps Knersie will enlighten you.

Knersie, are those guineas native to South Africa? Pretty common around farmyards here. All the ones I've seen show zero ability to take wing. Are yours like that? I suppose you know the Ringneck pheasants in this country are non-native?

alisonb":2o4gsjoj said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":2o4gsjoj said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry i'm laughing Sigma but perhaps Knersie will enlighten you.

Oh I forgot there arent any lions and tigers and bears in south africa Just Affrikaans

I'm curious about the lion issue also, I realize you guys in SA don't have Tigers or bears, but do they have most of the lions confined to certain areas of Africa? Where I live we have Cougar (mountain lions) sightings and reports within a couple of miles of us several times a year.

Oh, not to hijack the thread.... I hate the guineas..... way too much obnoxious noise produced.
Alan

ga. prime":2vl8w6od said:
Knersie, are those guineas native to South Africa? Pretty common around farmyards here. All the ones I've seen show zero ability to take wing. Are yours like that? I suppose you know the Ringneck pheasants in this country are non-native?

Yes, they are native, they can fly from only a few weeks old.

Alan":1kqyi3dq said:
I'm curious about the lion issue also, I realize you guys in SA don't have Tigers or bears, but do they have most of the lions confined to certain areas of Africa? Where I live we have Cougar (mountain lions) sightings and reports within a couple of miles of us several times a year.

Oh, not to hijack the thread.... I hate the guineas..... way too much obnoxious noise produced.
Alan

Yes, very few lions in the wild, none close to where I live. We still have leopards in the mountain, see paw prints once or twice a year, but have never lost any cattle to them, have lost sheep though.

KNERSIE":gnu1q8ag said:
Alan":gnu1q8ag said:

Alan

Yes, very few lions in the wild, none close to where I live. We still have leopards in the mountain, see paw prints once or twice a year, but have never lost any cattle to them, have lost sheep though.

I hear tell cheetahs are a problem for alot of ranchers in africa. Have they affected you? DO you shoot em?

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3tix8bl0 said:
KNERSIE":3tix8bl0 said:
Alan":3tix8bl0 said:

Alan

I hear tell cheetahs are a problem for alot of ranchers in africa. Have they affected you? DO you shoot em?

Africa is A BIG place!!!
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/ ... ve_map.jpg

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2vcv62zt said:
Africa is A BIG place!!!

No crap sherlock

Hah... I ment to quote Alans text, becouse when you talk about africa you need to remember how big that area is. "Certain areas where lions live" might be rather big. Like 2X China or US. :lol2: I hope you understand what I'm trying to say....

The native African guinea fowl, both helmeted and crested, are smaller than the domestic strains found in Europe and USA, have a pigmented, rather than white skin, and fly fast and high making far better sport than the overweight pheasant here in the UK. The francolin, partridge and quail all make good sport 'walking up' on rather than 'driving' them.

Latest posts