Pickups Then and Now

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya it's crazy what all the gadgets and nonsense electronics weigh. I read an article about it. If you looked behind the dash, or under the hood, or grabbed a seat out of a 1970 truck there just wasnt that much there. Look behind the dash and stuff of a 2020. Its packed with motors and wires and computer boards. Just think how much of that #1500 you could chip away if you stripped the electronics out of a new truck. Plus add in emissions and safety stuff.

It really is amazing what a modern truck can do as far as speed, stopping, towing, etc. Just look at what we demand out of tires now days also. Good or bad, it is amazing.
Seems we get a lot more out of tires in every way except tire life.. brand new tires with barely 1/2" of tread.. designed to have a short life for sure

Indeed these newer trucks have so much electricity its ridiculous!
That's why they are saving weight every where else. Less steel. More copper and electric doodads! At the same time they need to keep weight in check, to meet emissions standards.
50 cent part will leave ya on the side of the road in a hurry

The aggravation of the truck sales now are the packages. You cannot chose an option unless you get excess fluff for more $s.

I remember sitting in line for 4 hours in a pickup truck loaded with calves and seen a gooseneck trailer pull straight in to unload in a different spot. I told my father in law that I would buy one of those that winter when we sold tobacco. He said I was wasting money that I couldn't get a trailer anywhere to load. Bought my first one that winter. Everyone wanted me to haul.
Now I can't think of but one set of cattle racks on a pickup and he usually hires someone to haul his calves.

Just started restoring my 1993 3/4 ton 5.9 Cummings dodge , also have a 1929 ford model A with the foot starter up and running that is about ready for paint shop : just bought a 1979'mg midget with 27962 actual miles : been sitting in a closed garage since 1994 and is in excellent condition: something to do this winter besides putting out hay : happy thanksgiving to all

I remember being able to do most of the repairs on my vehicles unless something needed machining. Now it takes a computer to do a tune up. Recently the transmission in my old Ford Crown Vic. began to shift hard and slow. I took it to a Transmission shop that my neighbor suggested, the transmission shop called the next day and told me it was ready to pick up. When I got there I was told that there was nothing wrong with the transmission and the shifting problem was caused by #5 spark plug fouling out and sending a message to the computer. I changed the spark plug and it solved the problem, who would have thought?

Just started restoring my 1993 3/4 ton 5.9 Cummings dodge , also have a 1929 ford model A with the foot starter up and running that is about ready for paint shop : just bought a 1979'mg midget with 27962 actual miles : been sitting in a closed garage since 1994 and is in excellent condition: something to do this winter besides putting out hay : happy thanksgiving to all
You have good taste!.. I just bought our 4th first gen, we have 2 1993 cummins in auto, 4x4 and just got one in standard, then I bought a little 1991 D150 gasser because it's got all sorts of nice parts in it, especially body parts

Mine, 300K miles
20200428_151341.jpg

Dad's new 5spd, 92K miles (rough miles)
20201030_173058.jpg

Dad's auto, just repainted, 400K miles
IMG_0228.JPG

my D150, auto 2wd, 360ci, 190K miles, had $2K worth of front end work just before I got it
125216106_825953314860550_4209129634702920892_n.jpg

Latest posts