pickup tire recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

moses388

Reaction score
I am planning to order a pair of Firestone Transforce AT2 LT245/75R16. Firestone have been okay. When the tread gets wore the tires develop bulges, but I guess that is caused by the rough roads. I have run Cooper before. When Cooper Discoverer tires get old the tread separates on me. I was driving and a chunk of tread flew off.

Other brands or recommendations? Just wondering what other people think.

I was not a Goodyear fan, but we bought Goodyear Armour for our pickup that went down mostly rural scoria roads that were rough. They held up amazing. Probably the best of any tire. And I was skeptical. They might be called Armour TRX MSA now, not sure. We bought them because the guys running in the oil field swore by them.

I am running Lionhart Lionclaw AT x2 All Weather currently on my Dually. They seem to be pretty good but I only have 20K on them so far. Treadlife is good and they are fairly quiet. I would buy another set.

I spent big money on a set of Pathfinder AT (supposedly rebranded Hankooks) two years ago. I've got probably 25k miles on them and they're spanked. No punctures though, which is nice.

I spent a lot of time finding something decent for our feed truck. It's about as heavy as they come, Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4, with a Bessler bale bed on the back. First set of Nittos didn't last a year. Second set of Hercules (which the local tire shop really talked up, and they were expensive) wore really quick and had a ton of punctures. These had a road hazard warranty but it was only good down to 1/2 tread. Those lasted a year.

I bought a set of Linglong Crosswind ATs for it last year, they've been the cheapest and the best yet. Been on over a year now, not a single puncture, and they still have half tread left. I've been impressed.

I've tried the used tire route, didn't save much and the hassle of having them swapped around every few months was worth quite a bit.

The limestone gravel we have on the roads here is hell on tires. Really eats up the tread and likes to puncture them.

If you spend a lot of time on pavement BFGs and Michelins are the way to go for long life. Here, it is not worth it to buy the expensive ones.

Those Firestone Transforce AT tires have been the best for me by far on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Wear good, ride good and are priced good plus they are American made. Not the greatest in the mud but not much is on a big truck and they are as good as most any other "AT" tire.

Couldnt run me fast enough to buy another set of Cooper's same goes for Nitto's.

I spent big money on a set of Pathfinder AT (supposedly rebranded Hankooks) two years ago. I've got probably 25k miles on them and they're spanked. No punctures though, which is nice.

I spent a lot of time finding something decent for our feed truck. It's about as heavy as they come, Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4, with a Bessler bale bed on the back. First set of Nittos didn't last a year. Second set of Hercules (which the local tire shop really talked up, and they were expensive) wore really quick and had a ton of punctures. These had a road hazard warranty but it was only good down to 1/2 tread. Those lasted a year.

I bought a set of Linglong Crosswind ATs for it last year, they've been the cheapest and the best yet. Been on over a year now, not a single puncture, and they still have half tread left. I've been impressed.

I've tried the used tire route, didn't save much and the hassle of having them swapped around every few months was worth quite a bit.

The limestone gravel we have on the roads here is hell on tires. Really eats up the tread and likes to puncture them.

If you spend a lot of time on pavement BFGs and Michelins are the way to go for long life. Here, it is not worth it to buy the expensive ones.
Keep the tires aired to max recommended pressure and rotated is about all that you can do with the stock set up. Duals or 19.5 rims and heavier tires would help.

Nitto tires won't take being overloaded and or under inflated.

The transforce a/t is a great tire.
Not as great as the original steeltex a/t.
Those ol steeltex would wear like iron! Lasted forever and I sure miss them.

Now if your running rock/gravel roads nothing is gonna stand up. Sure there are some chip/chunk resistance tires around but they are more expensive and honestly they ain't that great.

I run at least 4 miles of rock road every day. Sometimes 15 to 19
Rock beats rubber every time. No getting around it. The hankook atm has been a decent tire too. Rocks have beat em up pretty badly. Mileage on any rock roads are terrible.

I'll never run a cooper or uniroyal tire again. Way too may problems.

The michelin at² is a very nice tire as well.

Given my choice tween the firestone and the michelin it'd be tough to choose.

Forgot to add...
Some firestone tires may be made in America, the owner still lives in Japan and it ain't ol Harvey Firestone.
Been that way for at least 20 years

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck with toyo AT tires. Had 4 sets go 40k with 5 miles of dirt road a day and some moderate hauling. Had one pair on the back only last 20k, they spent around half their life hauling a loaded 32 foot cattle trailer down rock roads, single rear wheel pickup. Bad idea I know but I thought the tires did well in the situation. I think I had one or less flats per set and it was always when they were ready to be replaced.

Only a hand full of tire manufatures world wide. All otner brands are made by them with different names on the side. Each manufacture makes 3-4 diffent grades of casings molds are three piece .tread and side walls . Pick a grade of casing ,pick a tread mold and whatever side mold with what ever name you want.
Goodyear,owns kelly,dunlop,as well as others. Bridgestone owns firestone,and others. The list goes on.
Many brands are produced by different manufactures.
The key isnt to focus on what name is on the side of the tire . You need to focus on who manufactured the tire and what grade casing it is.
More traction equals less milage in same conditions.

I've got a couple sets of the Firestone mud tires on feed trucks and really like them, but for something that spends a lot of time on the road I've had good luck with BFG A/T's. Everybody's situation is different.

For the price I have good luck with Uniroyal Tiger Paws. They are made by Michelin or that is what my tire dealer says. They want wear like Michelins, but want cost as much either.

I run Toyo M-55 on my dually, excellent traction, quiet. I put 60,000 miles on the last set and sold them for $100 each when I got the new tires!! They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I am planning to order a pair of Firestone Transforce AT2 LT245/75R16. Firestone have been okay. When the tread gets wore the tires develop bulges, but I guess that is caused by the rough roads. I have run Cooper before. When Cooper Discoverer tires get old the tread separates on me. I was driving and a chunk of tread flew off.

Other brands or recommendations? Just wondering what other people think.
What are you driving conditions? Rocks, sand, mud, pavement, snow, loaded much? What type of truck are they going on also?

I wanted Toyo but they didn't have them in my size. They said they didn't have then in the warehouse either. That really surprised me as Les Schwab probably has 100 stores all over the west and their warehouse which is only about 4 hours from here is flipping huge. I don't remember what I got instead.

I ran lots of Cooper Discovers in the past. That was back 30 years ago when I was falling timber and running lots of miles on rocked logging roads. At that time the wore real good. The last set of them I got just didn't last.

Latest posts