Pickles

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone got a good made from scratch pickle recipe they'd like to share? My cucumbers are trying to make despite the lack of rain and I'm able to pick about a gallon per day of baby gerkin types. I've been trying different from scratch recipes each day trying to find something really good. Well better than good. Today I made some with horseradish, red pepper flakes, garlic, black pepper and fresh dill sprigs. This was pretty decent but its still lacking something.(or course I really need to give them another day or two before I pass full judgement)

Anyhow, I'm hoping to find a nice zesty pickle recipe with any or all of the above ingredients. Unless we get some rain it looks like I'll only be able to make small batches each afternoon so I'll have plenty of chances to experiment with different recipes.

My Grandma made the best dill and bread and butter pickles ever. Will see if mom still has the recipe's, it is a German recipe so you know it has to be good . :D

hillsdown":2rtkotyr said:
it is a German recipe so you know it has to be good .

If its anything like the german sauerkraut I made this year it should be. Speaking of which, did she make kraut too? If so, did she pressure can the kraut? The FDA recommends it but I don't see that its neccessary. My granddaddy, (as I remember) didn't. Seems like the lactic acid would fend off any bad stuff. After I pressure canned mine it wasn't as good. Lost some of its crunch. Didn't mean to highjack my own thread but I was just wondering. I'll put more stock in what the germans do with kraut than what the FDA suggests any day.

You can't go wrong with a nice piccalilli, it goes well with ham :D . Recipe is pretty basic but let me know if you want it.

hillsdown":mypomzej said:
My Grandma made the best dill and bread and butter pickles ever. Will see if mom still has the recipe's, it is a German recipe so you know it has to be good . :D
:nod: grew up on Grandmas pickles. Can't hardly stand the store bought ones any more, just no comparison.

I cannot find my book that has the Best Bread and Butter pickle recipe in it, but here is another favorite.

Hot Dill Pickles
4 1/2 qts water
1 1/2 qts white vinegar
1 1/2c pickling salt

In 6 quart jars place 1 head of dill, 1 clove of garlic, 2 slices of habenero peppers, 1 slice of onion.
Pack in cucumbers.
Bring water, vinegar, and salt brine to a boil. Pour into packed jars. Let cool. Pour brine back into the pot and re-boil.
As you are waiting for it to boil add 1t mustard seed to each jar.
Add the boiling brine again.
Put the lids on jars. Place jars in a 13x9x2 pan.
Put in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
remove jars and let cool.
Store in a cool dark place for 6 weeks.
If you want it hotter add more slices of habenero peppers.

ILH, that sounds good. I'll definitely try that. I like the idea about using the oven. Never thought of that.

I cannot enter these in the county fair because it is not done in a pressure canner or hot water bath. :roll: :roll:
Oh well their loss.

They are really good. Had people who do not like pickles love these. Had a local deputy at a training course about fall out of his chair after eating one. Poor guy didn't know they were hot. :lol2: :lol2:
Don't forget the mustard seed. If you do they will taste a little more salty. Found that out when I forgot the mustard last year.

Mom just got back home today, she was house sitting and babysitting for my sister all week ,plus I now have Internet again. So I will ask her if she has grandma's recipe and how they did their kraut. I know for a fact that it was never done in a pressure cooker/can .

The kraut has really got me puzzled. I don't want to do something unsafe but I just can't figure out why you'd need to do this on kraut cause the whole purpose of fementation is to preserve it. Personally I don't think you have to but I've been wrong before.

ILH, I tried your recipe and except used jalepeno instead of habenero. I really like the pickles. Not too salty nor vinegary. They are excellent. Gonna use your brine for a base to experiment some more with. Will try the EXACT recipe when I get some habeneros. Thanks.

I know it's not a zesty dill recipe, but if you like sweet pickles, this is about as easy as it gets. My (great) Aunt Jo makes these every summer, and they are so fine on their own and also make a fantastic addition to slaw, chicken salad, etc. I guess it's likely a no-no as ILH said because it's not cooked at all. Hasn't killed any of us yet though. :p

Easiest Sweet Pickles
Wash and dry whole cucumbers and pack into a 1 gallon jar. Pour in enough apple cider vinegar to completely cover cucumbers. Cover opening of jar with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band. Date container and leave on counter for six weeks.
Pour off and discard vinegar. Wash and dry cucumbers and slice. Return to jar and cover with 4 pounds sugar, 3 to 4 drops oil of cloves and 3 to 4 drops oil of cinnamon. Toss. Keep covered until sugar dissolves completely, stirring occasionally. Pickles are ready when sugar is dissolved.
Does not have to be refrigerated. Place pickles in the food processor to chop for relish.

Jogeephus":g351499o said:
The kraut has really got me puzzled. I don't want to do something unsafe but I just can't figure out why you'd need to do this on kraut cause the whole purpose of fementation is to preserve it. Personally I don't think you have to but I've been wrong before.

Joe,
The reason USDA recommends pressure canning kraut is the ph level. Cabbage runs in the 5.5 range and they will only recommend water bath canning for foods with ph 4.5 or lower. They do not recommend brine curing/fermenting as a sole means of preservation for any fruits/veges anymore. There are some bugs that can survive and a few that even thrive in high salinity. So, from a strict food safety standpoint, they're correct in their recommendation. As far as canning goes, they only recommend boiling water bath (low ph only) and pressure canning (anything ph4.6 & higher). All other methods are considered high risk.
J

CottageFarm":137r3mlr said:
Jogeephus":137r3mlr said:

Joe,
The reason USDA recommends pressure canning kraut is the ph level. Cabbage runs in the 5.5 range and they will only recommend water bath canning for foods with ph 4.5 or lower. They do not recommend brine curing/fermenting as a sole means of preservation for any fruits/veges anymore. There are some bugs that can survive and a few that even thrive in high salinity. So, from a strict food safety standpoint, they're correct in their recommendation. As far as canning goes, they only recommend boiling water bath (low ph only) and pressure canning (anything ph4.6 & higher). All other methods are considered high risk.
J

Thanks but I'm still confused. If the sauerkraut has a ph of 4.0 then would this not be enough? What can live in this high acid high salt environment? Its botulism safe after 4.6. I question this because my grandaddy always kept a barrel of kraut in the barn and they never did anything but fill it with spices, salt and cabbage. Of course this wasn't air tight either. So I guess I'm wondering what pathogen can live in a high salt, low ph anearobic environment and make you sick. I'm not arguing with you I'm just trying to get a handle on why.

farmwriter":1ca3zf1q said:
I know it's not a zesty dill recipe, but if you like sweet pickles, this is about as easy as it gets. My (great) Aunt Jo makes these every summer, and they are so fine on their own and also make a fantastic addition to slaw, chicken salad, etc. I guess it's likely a no-no as ILH said because it's not cooked at all. Hasn't killed any of us yet though. :p

Easiest Sweet Pickles
Wash and dry whole cucumbers and pack into a 1 gallon jar. Pour in enough apple cider vinegar to completely cover cucumbers. Cover opening of jar with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band. Date container and leave on counter for six weeks.
Pour off and discard vinegar. Wash and dry cucumbers and slice. Return to jar and cover with 4 pounds sugar, 3 to 4 drops oil of cloves and 3 to 4 drops oil of cinnamon. Toss. Keep covered until sugar dissolves completely, stirring occasionally. Pickles are ready when sugar is dissolved.
Does not have to be refrigerated. Place pickles in the food processor to chop for relish.

I'm not against eating sweet pickles and I have just the jar for this recipe so thanks I'll give it a try. Lord knows I'm sweet enough but the rest of the bunch sugar wouldn't hurt. :lol2:

Jogeephus":16tztukb said:
CottageFarm":16tztukb said:
Jogeephus":16tztukb said:

Joe,
J

Thanks but I'm still confused. If the sauerkraut has a ph of 4.0 then would this not be enough? What can live in this high acid high salt environment? Its botulism safe after 4.6. I question this because my grandaddy always kept a barrel of kraut in the barn and they never did anything but fill it with spices, salt and cabbage. Of course this wasn't air tight either. So I guess I'm wondering what pathogen can live in a high salt, low ph anearobic environment and make you sick. I'm not arguing with you I'm just trying to get a handle on why.

You are absolutely correct about nothing living in 4.0 ph enviroment (well, no food borne bugs anyway). If you're that low on your kraut you definitely don't need to pressure can it. One could argue that fermentation only would be acceptable as well, you just won't find USDA behind the argument. It's the government and they're here to help :shock:
If I were preparing for myself/family only, I would have no problem with fermentation as the sole method of preservation, like you're wanting to do. But if I'm preparing for anyone else , I would water bath it after fermentation for CYA protection. :D I'd say go for it, just find a proven recipe, like the one HD is working on for you!

I'm scratching my head on this one. Seems that maybe they are erring to the side of extreme caution or maybe whoever came up with that recommendation doesn't know what they were talking about. Someone similar to a relative of mine who has a phD in nutrition and has written several college text books who cooked us turkey for Thanksgiving and was amazed to find a bag full of "things" in it when she took it out of the oven. :lol2:

Yes, its only for myself. Problem I have with heating it seems to take away some of the crunch. I did use a water bath this year but I'd like for it to taste just like it came out of the crock. Maybe I is should just devote one crock for kraut storage.

Jogeephus":3tl0m4lt said:
I'm scratching my head on this one. Seems that maybe they are erring to the side of extreme caution or maybe whoever came up with that recommendation doesn't know what they were talking about. Someone similar to a relative of mine who has a phD in nutrition and has written several college text books who cooked us turkey for Thanksgiving and was amazed to find a bag full of "things" in it when she took it out of the oven. :lol2:

Yes, its only for myself. Problem I have with heating it seems to take away some of the crunch. I did use a water bath this year but I'd like for it to taste just like it came out of the crock. Maybe I is should just devote one crock for kraut storage.

Yep, EXTREME caution. These are the same people who recommend you soak fresh veges in a mild bleach solution before consuming. :eek:
....."who cooked us turkey for Thanksgiving and was amazed to find a bag full of "things" in it when she took it out of the oven." :lol2: :lol2: oops.....

You could certainly always have a crock in progress. The cooking process will always soften kraut (or any other vege). One alternative to canning, if you want a longer storage option, would be vacuum packaging in bags or jars and cold storing/refrigerating. I would estimate that would give you at least 6 months storage before you would start to see any degredation of quality.
J

Glad to hear you liked them Jo. :D
I always used spring water from the store in making my pickles our water has too high of a sodium content to do pickles correctly, even if you cut the salt back.
Hubbies grandmother used to catch rain water in barrels and make her pickles that way, family always said they were the best.

Jo mom cannot find any recipe for the sauerkraut Grandma made. But we were searching the internet together and found this one. Mom said it is very close to how Grandma did it . You use fermentation crocks and weigh the kraut down. It might be worth a try, good luck . Still looking for the pickle recipe, think she knows where it went . :help:

http://www.pickyourown.org/sauerkraut_homemade.htm