pickled okra

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
Lammie got me thinking...
My family loves the pickled okra from the store, but do any of you have a recipe for it?

Here is an old recipe that I'm sure they will enjoy if they like the flavor of the store bought brands. It tastes exactly like it. If you want to make them hotter or more garlicky just increase these amounts but they are great just as they are. If you decide to make it let me know what you think.

4 lbs of okra
1 garlic clove per jar
1 hot pepper per jar
1 teaspoon of dill seed per jar
1 teaspoon of mustard seed per jar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of salt

Sterilize your jars then pack okra in them. Add to each jar: garlic clove, hot pepper(cut in half), dill seed and mustard seed.

Bring vinegar, water, and salt to boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Pour boiling mixture into jars leaving about a half inch of headroom.

Seal jars and process in boiling bath for 10 minutes.

Put on shelf for at least one month.

PS. When I do it I add a little more vinegar and a little more water cause I always run short of the mixture on the last jar. Maybe enough to total a half a cup.

edit: This post got me to craving and though I'm 12 days shy of 30 days I had to crack a seal to try one of this year's out. Crisp and wonderful. So I guess the 30 day deal isn't critical but they do get better with age just like people. ;-)

Dad used to pickle okra but it just wasn't the same. I like the store boughten stuff.

You got a recipe for watermelon pickles? My ex grandmother-in-law, or GG for short, made good pickled watermelon rinds. I didn't get her recipe and she took it to the hereafter with her.

Thanks Jogee. Will look for enough okra from the farmer's market this week to give it a try.
:tiphat:

farmwriter":1t72ydi6 said:
Thanks Jogee. Will look for enough okra from the farmer's market this week to give it a try.
:tiphat:

I made a mistake on my recipe post. I said this would make 9 quarts. It won't. I forgot I had doubled or maybe tripled the mix to make the 9 quarts I made. I had okra coming out my ears and when I saw how little liquid was in the pot I started increasing the amount. It takes about 1/3 of a quart jar of mix to fill each jar filled with okra. Maybe this will help. Sorry for the mistake.

No worries - that's just real cooking. You add a little more of this or that till it comes out right!

Lammie":2qswmj1i said:
Dad used to pickle okra but it just wasn't the same. I like the store boughten stuff.

You got a recipe for watermelon pickles? My ex grandmother-in-law, or GG for short, made good pickled watermelon rinds. I didn't get her recipe and she took it to the hereafter with her.

I have a recipe for watermellon rind preserves - could that be the same thing? I'll keep looking for pickles though.

Jogeephus":p4uv6owc said:
Lammie":p4uv6owc said:

I have a recipe for watermellon rind preserves - could that be the same thing? I'll keep looking for pickles though.

YES! That's what I mean. I'd love to try it if you still have it available.

Lammie":10lpbn3e said:
Jogeephus":10lpbn3e said:
Lammie":10lpbn3e said:

YES! That's what I mean. I'd love to try it if you still have it available.

I'll hunt it up for you. Give me a little time an possibly a nudge if I forget. :oops: