picking out a show heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

rm987

Reaction score
im getting my first heifer this january for the august fair in ventura county and i was wondering if anyone can help me on how to pick out a heifer? all the advice will be greatly appreciated

I agree with cattleluvr18, shorthorns are my favorite. You want the calf to look "blocky" but have clean lines and be filled out. Show calves eat alot so be prepared for a large feed bill. We tie our calves up in a halter before we leave for work and feed them then. They have a fan on them when it's hot and usually a radio. Then feed them again after work and let them loose for the night. They have it pretty good.

Maine-Anjou are layed back to. Love my Maines. But I love Shorties and Herefords to. So good luck showing cattle it is A LOT of hard work but what you learn is worth every moment. ;-)

rm987":qls51xny said:
im getting my first heifer this january for the august fair in ventura county and i was wondering if anyone can help me on how to pick out a heifer?

Do a search on judging cattle - that is exactly what the judge will be doing to your heifer. You want a heifer that has a good temperament, is easy to handle, and has the best conformation you can afford to buy. If she is high-headed and runs when you walk among them, leave her there. If she has a hard look to her eye, leave her there. If she is flighty or skittish, leave her there. Pay attention to her eyes, and the way she holds her head. Since you're new, it will take a while for you be able to tell the difference, but it will come. Listen to your instincts, and do not make hasty decisions. Look at a variety of animals before you make your final decision, and do not let owners pressure you. I would also suggest you take along someone who knows cattle, and that you trust to help you make your final decision.

Get on the net and try to find all the pictures you can of winners for whatever breed you select. Do this over and over until the images are firmly fixed in your mind. Develope an instinct. When you go out and look for a calf some will look good some will look bad. That is because you know what a winner looks like. This is just the final step in selection on top of all the individual qualities you should look for, conformation, straight lines, etc. It would help if you could see her parents. And on a final note make sure that she has a feminine look.

I plan to do some real upgrading this next year.My best bet would be to buy show heifers or show quality?Make them my foundation cows.So build a herd from scratch it is best to have all show heifers?Buy say 5 or 6 or buy10 to 15?It takes so dang long to build a new herd,lot of years.

Brahma Bull":31oz2b0h said:
I plan to do some real upgrading this next year.My best bet would be to buy show heifers or show quality?Make them my foundation cows.So build a herd from scratch it is best to have all show heifers?Buy say 5 or 6 or buy10 to 15?It takes so dang long to build a new herd,lot of years.

Rahter then show heifers that are/have been pampered, I would lean towards buying ex-show heifers that have proven their ability by running on grass without grain after their show career was ended. If they shouwed well as heifers and still can make it for a couple of years as brood cows you know they'll be able to do the job. Way too many show heifers are pampared and fall apart when they get out into the cruel world of paying for their keep.

Brahma Bull":2pc9chdh said:

It all depends on your market. If you are planning on raiseing show prospects you must try and figure out what the judges are looking for. If you will be selling seedstock to F1 breeders then I would ask them what they are looking for. Start with your potential buyer and set your goal on produceing what they need.

Latest posts