Picking a herd sire/bull

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
This probably should be in "Got Milk" but I want input from all cattle people not just dairy. When choosing a bull, I have heard that a lopsided sack would be transmitted to the female offspring with lopsided udders. Is there any truth, or just an ole wives tale? Thanks.

Old tale. The tissue that makes the scrotum of the bull makes the outer labia of the cow. If one wants a good bag, the bulls female relatives udders are the key. Mother, sisters, grandmother, daughters if possible.

When I'm picking out a bull I pull out the Select Sires catalog and find one that looks good and call up the rep. :D

1st of all you look at your dairy cows an see where their weaknesses are.1 is undder attachment.if they have a bad bagg you want a bull that improves their baggs.2 bad feet an legs.you want to improve those.3 conframation you breed to correct those probs.4 sccs bulls can now help improve the cows sccs.5 lifespan in the herd.that can be improved as well.6 calving ease.

Why would you want a bull with a lopsided scrotum anyway. Seems like that could cause some fertility issues

novaman":3qsal5gt said:
When I'm picking out a bull I pull out the Select Sires catalog and find one that looks good and call up the rep. :D
That's the only way to get one in this country and know anythign at all about him especially dairy. Going to the sell and buying a bull is a crapshoot at best.