Picking a direction --- a possible group project for all of us

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I have a nice commercial black Angus cow who was supposedly carrying a FB Aubrac embryo for me.

Then, she calved out a beautiful black F1 heifer (fullblood Aubrac sire) -- apparently our bull jumped in with her when she was in heat, bred her, and jumped back out again a day or two before the embryo went in. This was a wholly unexpected opportunity (distraction?), so we've named her Enterprise.

Here's my conundrum...

1 -- Breed her back to an Angus bull?
2 -- Breed her back to an Aubrac bull?
3 -- Breed her to a Mashona bull?
4 -- Breed her to a Grey Brahman bull?
5 -- Breed her to a Murray Grey bull?
6 -- Breed her to a ??? bull?
7 -- Sell her and move on since I'm really only trying to do Aubracs, Mashonas and F1s (each direction) between them?

I welcome any and all thoughts. :)

She's about 9 months old now ... weaned at about 550lbs at 7mo on grass and mama only ... just thinking ahead a bit and am open to any of your ideas. Thanks.

PS -- If I keep her and breed her to something other than Aubrac or Mashona, I'd be real interested in using sexed semen to try to make me a heifer calf (possibly as the start of a three-way rotation) ... and ... if I keep her and she does a good job the first time around, she'll possibly turn into a recip for me ... fwiw.

WalnutCrest":ovwpjzt5 said:
I have a nice commercial black Angus cow who was supposedly carrying a FB Aubrac embryo for me.

Then, she calved out a beautiful black F1 heifer (fullblood Aubrac sire) -- apparently our bull jumped in with her when she was in heat, bred her, and jumped back out again a day or two before the embryo went in. This was a wholly unexpected opportunity (distraction?), so we've named her Enterprise.

Here's my conundrum...

1 -- Breed her back to an Angus bull?
2 -- Breed her back to an Aubrac bull?
3 -- Breed her to a Mashona bull?
4 -- Breed her to a Grey Brahman bull?
5 -- Breed her to a Murray Grey bull?
6 -- Breed her to a ??? bull?
7 -- Sell her and move on since I'm really only trying to do Aubracs, Mashonas and F1s (each direction) between them?

I welcome any and all thoughts. :)

She's about 9 months old now ... weaned at about 550lbs at 7mo on grass and mama only ... just thinking ahead a bit and am open to any of your ideas. Thanks.

PS -- If I keep her and breed her to something other than Aubrac or Mashona, I'd be real interested in using sexed semen to try to make me a heifer calf (possibly as the start of a three-way rotation) ... and ... if I keep her and she does a good job the first time around, she'll possibly turn into a recip for me ... fwiw.

Being that small, I would donate her to an orphanage. :lol:

I don't understand how one heifer is a project for us all.
I don't understand why what others here (including me) think is an issue for your program
She is your heifer....do what suits you best.
follow your goals for your herd.
focus on doing a better job of keeping the bull away from your recipients to avoid a years worth of disappointment.

WalnutCrest

Please know I was joking. I have seen your website. You have a very exciting operation. Most of all, I envy you having the singing talent you do in your family!!!

pdfangus":1imvo5o6 said:
I don't understand how one heifer is a project for us all.
I don't understand why what others here (including me) think is an issue for your program
She is your heifer....do what suits you best.
follow your goals for your herd.
focus on doing a better job of keeping the bull away from your recipients to avoid a years worth of disappointment.

1 -- I like to tinker. I like hearing other opinions. She's unrelated to any of the main things I have going on here. I'm not sure what to do with her ... figure if I end up keeping her, I may as well get some opinions on which direction to breed her.
2 -- I'm not sure what best suits me, frankly.
3 -- The goals for my herd didn't involve her, and then she was born. A milder version of thinking your wife is going to have a son ... until she has a daughter and all the blue crap at home has to go back to the store.
4 -- :roll:

Bright Raven":1ynhcszh said:
WalnutCrest

Please know I was joking. I have seen your website. You have a very exciting operation. Most of all, I envy you having the singing talent you do in your family!!!

'tsallgood.

And, yes, listening to my kids sing is a great blessing to me. :)

I would agree with greatgerts. If you like her put her right next to her momma as a receipt. I would also make sure the bulls are fenced better, we know how much time and effort goes into embryo work. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts