Pick up Oil Pressure ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have two Chev K1500 s:

The 2001 has 280K and the oil pressure is close to 40 psi. whether the engine temp is cold or warm.
The 2011 has 82K and lately the oil pressure drops from 40 psi when it is cold - - to 25 to 30 psi at operating temp..
Any tips for the 2011 ???

Stocker Steve":i1uhqaga said:
I have two Chev K1500 s:

The 2001 has 280K and the oil pressure is close to 40 psi. whether the engine temp is cold or warm.
The 2011 has 82K and lately the oil pressure drops from 40 psi when it is cold - - to 25 to 30 psi at operating temp..
Any tips for the 2011 ???
If you are depending on a electronic gauge it may just be it.
Checking it with a mechanical gauge is the only sure way to tell. Resistance of wiring, sensors and the gauge itself will affect the reading of a electric gauge.
Are you saying 25-30 PSI at idle or running down the road?

Stocker Steve":ud3mopid said:
Down the road
Only real way is to test with a mechanical gauge. Lots of variables in electric gauges. If it is truly low with a mechanical gauge then you can start investigating other things, otherwise you are just guessing.

Kingfisher":10zyf7ad said:
With the 2011 I think with an adequate scan tool you could glean something before checking w mechanical guage.
Scan tool still takes a reading thru an electric sensor and gave give you false info. If the resistance is off on a sensor or wire it corrupts the reading. Mechanical test gauges are cheap and the only real way to confirm pressure.