Pick Them Apart

Help Support CattleToday:

I
HomePlaceAngus":dc8rk9ut said:
We sold the Sterling countess donor. Her calves were not up to our standards. We don't pick on numbers alone either. We do a lot of pedigree work and look at prototype as well. Yes, our cattle are larger then most with some of our females running in the 1500 - 1900 lb. range, but that is our market. We are doing well with what we do. Like I said, everyone likes something different. Our customers like the larger, fast growing seedstock. :tiphat:

I can sure understand that, we all try to breed cattle that work for our customers, we also have to breed cattle that work in our environment and large frame just doesn't work here. Washy grass heat and humidity and big is not a good formula.

Gizmom

I agree Gizmom, environment plays a big part in picking the right cattle for any given area. That would also include breed. I don't think full blood Angus is necessarly the best breed to raise in Texas or Florida for example.

Well I am glad my customers don't share your feelings. All breeders and all breeds have challenges the good breeder will breed animals that work for them in their environment no matter what the breed. Have you had experience raising cattle in Florida or Texas? I am just curious as to what experience you have had with the climate in florida or Texas, to make a statement like that. Angus cattle work very well in Florida as long as they are bred right. A 1500-1900 pound angus would be challenged here in Florida but my cousin in West Virginia would't mind having that cow at all. My 1200-1400 pound angus cows work just fine in our heat and humidity and on our washy grass.

Gizmom

gizmom":181t7iy2 said:
Well I am glad my customers don't share your feelings. All breeders and all breeds have challenges the good breeder will breed animals that work for them in their environment no matter what the breed. Have you had experience raising cattle in Florida or Texas? I am just curious as to what experience you have had with the climate in florida or Texas, to make a statement like that. Angus cattle work very well in Florida as long as they are bred right. A 1500-1900 pound angus would be challenged here in Florida but my cousin in West Virginia would't mind having that cow at all. My 1200-1400 pound angus cows work just fine in our heat and humidity and on our washy grass.

Gizmom
I will take your word for it Gizmom. I lived in Florida from 1970 until I retired in 2001. Seen an awful lot of Bramha influnced cattle across the middle of the state. I was just assuming that Angus would not do as well in Florida. I went to school at Texas A&M. Same thing there. I know there are well known Angus herds in both Florida and Texas, but I also know that Bramha influnced cattle do well in those areas. I started raising Angus in Michigan in 1959 when they were only waist high and am now retired, raising Angus in North Carolina. I totally understand and agree that different size cattle do better in different parts of the country. From what I have seen from your post and pictures you are doing a fine job down in Florida.

I saw your bulls were listed in the bull test, and I think they turned out very nice. I ran acrossed them while looking at some of the Simmental bulls in the test/sale. Best wishes on them, and I think you should be proud of what your farm has produced!

jscunn":2ta48byw said:
When will you get to see the scan results and the Feed Effeciency results on the bulls, that will be interesting.

I spoke with the folks handling this program yesterday, and they said they have a meeting either yesterday or today to check the final stats, and the sale program will be put together next week and mailed to all who have requested it. I suspect they will also publish it online.

Robert,

After I asked I remembered you had said you don't like 9M9 I had just forgotten my memory has never Been great an gets worse all the time. I think all of us have certain genetics we don't like usually due to a bad experience. I have a number of cows in the herd that go back to 9M9 through the 239C cow that cow has been my only experience with 9M9 and she was a really good cow for us. Other than that one cow I don't know much about 9M9 at all.

Gizmom

Latest posts