Pick the straw

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Have a cow in heat that we will breed first thing in the AM. Thought since I was indecisive I see if yall would like to pick the straw. And sorry, no pics on short notice.

She had her first calf by Whitlock in March. She's an Upshot out of a beautiful uddered 7229 cow. She's definitely been dragged down by her first calf, and has plenty (too much) hair for my liking. By the way she was supposed to be out of a straw of VAR Reserve, not Upshot. She gets a solid 'A' for udder and 'B' for feet.

Reg # 18433687

Here are top choices for bulls in tank

Capitalist
Insight
Playbook
Hoover Dam

Other choices:
Capitalist 316
Absolute

Depending on what you're hoping to do with the calf, and if it's a bull or heifer, I'd go with Hoover Dam, Playbook or Insight in that order. Good luck!

I'm using a grandson of Hoover Dam. I feel he is one of the solid Angus sires. I've seen a lot of his progeny and I compare him to Final Answer. They both have helped the breed and many herds IMO. Of the others I've only seen progeny of a couple and it has been limited. HD is a proven solid bull with little doubt about what he will sire.

Sorry was out of town for a few days, winner was Playbook. We had used quite a few 316 and wanted to save the last two straws for some others possibly. Playbook we hadn't used yet, and considered also marketability of having a bred cow bred to him, good chance she'll be sold with a few others next winter as we our overstocked currently until more fencing installed.

Latest posts