pic of pulled calf on Christmas Eve

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I lost a cow and calf last Saturday but managed to pull this one and save both heifer and calf on Christmas Eve. The photo is in the gallery under recent photos but I'm still not literate enough to get it on here. Maybe someone will help. It's listed as Calf born on Christmas Eve. Both cow and calf are doin' fine.

Good looking calf. Murphey's Law always applies to calving on hoidays and bad weather.

calf_born_on_christmas_eve_1.jpg

Both are doing great. The little guy is a lot prettier since he's dried off and got a few days under his belt. He was all of 10 minutes old in this pic. I'm thankful that I had put her up the day before and was there.Thanks for the help in posting the picture for me. My New Years resolution will be to learn how to do that.

Jogeephus":13hdplbx said:
Good looking calf. Murphey's Law always applies to calving on hoidays and bad weather.

calf_born_on_christmas_eve_1.jpg
From what I can see in the picture she has no rear end. I don't think she's breeding material as she only has front legs and head. But you can't tell much from a picture. :D

Roadapple, she's a he or an it, now, it seemed like a good time to band.........take my word for it there is a rear end. I figured once the head and shoulders came through it would slide out...wrong, the only pulling I didnt have to do was the tail :lol:

Where's the snow and ice?? They can have babies without frozen water around?

Congrats rc!

Is it just a rough year , just wondering why the losin and pullin?

rc":nv985si7 said:
Roadapple, she's a he or an it, now, it seemed like a good time to band.........take my word for it there is a rear end. I figured once the head and shoulders came through it would slide out...wrong, the only pulling I didnt have to do was the tail :lol:
Boy, you'd think people would pay closer attention to what they read, huh. Sorry bout that goof. Glad everything worked out, and you've got a nice Christmas present.

Alx., bout the loosing and pulling........I had a visitor in the pasture from a neighbor and I think he got to the cow I lost...big ugly calf out of a big ugly bull. The heifer that calved Christmas Eve was a very young and small heifer that I really expected to have problems. Bout the snow and ice...they are forecasting a great change in our weather for New Years day. So far we really haven't had any winter to speak of. Round here they say if you don't like the weather just stick around..it'll change. I hope the bad year thing stays with 07...

It pays to have heifers up close, even if you aren't expecting problems. You never know ----
Of course, I believe in having ALL calving cows up close & personal. I want to know what's going on at all times.

Glad you were able to save that calf.

We had a 5 yr old cow to calve the 23rd and luckily we were feeding at that time. She didn't come up so we went looking for her and of all places.... she had the calf in the creek bed and he had gotton in the creek and would've drowned had we not been there to pull him out.

We managed to get him toweled dry and gave him micotil and bcomplex shots, had to haul him on xmas day up to the barn (hubby didn't want to on the 23rd) as he wasn't nursing. Gave him baytril and bcomplex (the vet recommended this combo as he said baytril was longer acting, however I'd already given micotil the first time) and he's now doing quite well. Nurses on his own. I call him waterboy.

Well I've got two more since this pic was taken and everything has went well. They are dropping every couple of days now. Fingers crossed..........Happy New Year to all here's hoping the drought stayed with 07. May we all have a good year.

Latest posts