PI cows of BVD

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I will like to ask Vicki the Vet the following: Is it possible or frequent for a vaccinated cow with triangle 9 to get pregnant and calve if the cow is a PI animal of BVD desease? If so, and the calve survive, is the calve PI also or will not be infected since the cow was vaccinated? Thanks for all the help, Tony

[email protected]

Ok can a PI (persistently infected) cow with BVD still carry the virus despite vaccination? Absolutely--she had to have been infected in utero, and CANNOT mount a response to the vaccine because her immune system will not recognize the virus as foreign. One way to test for pi cattle (aside from virus isolation) is to vaccinate the herd fully then do serology for BVD. The non responders are PI for BVD in most or all cases, and should be culled to slaughter.

Can a PI cow get pregnant and calve? Absolutely, assuming she hasn't developed mucosal disease and died prior to breeding age. Will the calf be infected? Since the cow has the virus at the early stage of pregnancy to infect the calf, I'd just about guarantee that any resulting calf has a persistent infection and again will NEVER mount an immune response to bvd.

Hope this makes sense. Check out persistent infection bvd on google and read information from university sources there--I didn't check but there are likely lots of sites to check.

Good Luck V

> I will like to ask Vicki the Vet
> the following: Is it possible or
> frequent for a vaccinated cow with
> triangle 9 to get pregnant and
> calve if the cow is a PI animal of
> BVD desease? If so, and the calve
> survive, is the calve PI also or
> will not be infected since the cow
> was vaccinated? Thanks for all the
> help, Tony

Latest posts