Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Bridal Wreath
P1010205.jpg

Pink Lady Slippers
P1010207.jpg

P1010208.jpg

Oldest nephew driving with Grandpa, looking at the garden and flowers (Sweet William)
P1010085.jpg

We lost our last dog to cancer in 2005 and we've been thinking about a new puppy the last number of years. 'Aimee' is 1/2 Yellow Lab and 1/2 Golden Retriever. She's also dual citizen with Mom being Canadian and Dad being a visiting American with apparently multiple love affairs going on this spring in a nearby neighborhood. These photos are from July when she was a little better than two months old.
P1010286.jpg

P1010280.jpg

P1010250.jpg

P1010289.jpg

My next-door neighbor left for retirement to around Bez's area in December of last year, so I lost the use of my cattle trucker/trailer. Rather than buying it at auction and spending about $5000 to bring it back to 'road worthiness', I went looking for a good used one in Manitoba. Knew I wanted a Norbert trailer, as it is the Cadillac of steel trailers in Western Canada. Found this one about 260 miles from here and took pictures of it when Dad and I went investigating one day. We went to the manufacturer plant the same day and got a new price on a trailer like this - $16,000. Auction was a week later and bought it over the phone for 7k. Local from that area hauls Limousin bulls to a fella around here and offered to haul it back when he brought bulls down, so it worked out really well.

It's 7'x7'x20'. Really like the extra head room. It's a 2000 model and had the premium package with the aluminum checkerplate, lots of extras and the oil hubs. Just surface rust on the interior bottom 6 inches, so I wired down the exposed metal and painted it with trem-clad to stop the rust. Hoping to take out the exterior boards this spring and scrape/paint the remainder down past the floor.

P1010148.jpg

P1010153.jpg

P1010155.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010164.jpg

Really nice pictures Aaron! How do you get those pink lady slippers to do so well in a clump like that? They grow wild on our ranch but only in the ditches where it's good and wet. My MIL has tried transplanting a few over the years but they never took.

LazyARanch":oy0wdeub said:
Really nice pictures Aaron! How do you get those pink lady slippers to do so well in a clump like that? They grow wild on our ranch but only in the ditches where it's good and wet. My MIL has tried transplanting a few over the years but they never took.

Same here. Grow in the ditches along our road. The key is to keep them in well drained, but moist ground with low pH. So we planted them on the north side of our deck, in lots of sand; laid down a layer of landscape fabric around them and applied a good layer 2-3" of cedar mulch every year for a few years. We have successfully transplanted all varieties of them: Large pink, large yellow and small yellow slippers.

If I remember right, your over in Kittson or Marshall county correct? If so, your best time to transplant would be the same as ours - about early to mid-August, after the blooms are done.

Also, being beside the deck, we were able to shovel snow off the deck, on top of the plants and protect them from severe frost.

Thanks for the tips Aaron, I will share them with my MIL. She'll probably want to try again!

Yep, Kittson County. The more open pasture pictures in your bale-grazing posting looks just like our place! Wish I had more herefords in our herd, you've got some very good lookin' girls there! Planning to add more herfs in the next few years. :nod: We like our black baldies so we're using a good son of Mytty in Focus and we bought a Balancer son of SAV Net Worth this past spring. Looking forward to calving in late March!

Latest posts