Photography Assistance

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
I figured with all the members that post photographs of nature on here, it would be a good source to ask assistance. It appears that there is a nice rather large black bear that has decided to live in coexistance with people in a small little mountain town I've been staying in. Its nice that i don't have to have a guilty conscience about pushing these animals out of there habitat. I'm hopping to document this so that bears and people throughout the world can learn that they can live in harmony.

As I was trying to take photographs through the window pane, I realized it wasn't going to work due to the glare. It is evident that I need to step outside to obtain this critical part of my supporting evidence. So how close should I get to capture the friendly expression of the bears face, but not interrupt his "naturalness". Keep in mind that the flash on my phone camera may not be as powerful as some of the fancy digital cameras and he visits at night.

Apparently the old adage is true, one idiot's trash is another bear's treasure.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would look into getting a game camera. Even with a fancy digital camera, you would need an extra flash that is stronger than the one on the camera or a slave flash.

Commercialfarmer":eviz8fv7 said:
I figured with all the members that post photographs of nature on here, it would be a good source to ask assistance. It appears that there is a nice rather large black bear that has decided to live in coexistance with people in a small little mountain town I've been staying in. Its nice that i don't have to have a guilty conscience about pushing these animals out of there habitat. I'm hopping to document this so that bears and people throughout the world can learn that they can live in harmony.

As I was trying to take photographs through the window pane, I realized it wasn't going to work due to the glare. It is evident that I need to step outside to obtain this critical part of my supporting evidence. So how close should I get to capture the friendly expression of the bears face, but not interrupt his "naturalness". Keep in mind that the flash on my phone camera may not be as powerful as some of the fancy digital cameras and he visits at night.

Apparently the old adage is true, one idiot's trash is another bear's treasure.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Please tell me you are kidding. What you are describing is a garbage bear and he has nowhere to go but down. The local wildlife officers should do one of two things. Trap him and move him a LOOOOOONG ways from his idyllic existance or..................shoot him.

BTW if this is a black bear be advised he will kill you and possibly eat you, if you play dead he will kill you quicker.

You can set the camera to timer mode then get as close to the bear as the bear will let you. You might have a discussion with him at first and let him know your plans and how all this is for the benefit of everyone. On second thought just video the whole thing and if individual pictures are needed at a later time they can be pulled from the video clip.

If you get real close you can get intrnal pictures of the bear. Of course your survivors will have to fish it out of his dung to be able to see them.

Build yourself a good sturdy anti-bear cage, with the center of the cage being further from any edge than a bear's reach, including the top. Put cage where bear frequently travels and lock yourself in it. Wait. Bear will come around and be curious--you'll get some real closeups shots. Eventually the bear will get used to you, bring his friends, and they'll throw peanuts and such to you in your cage. Some may even poke a stick at you just to see you howl and grunt.
On the other hand, one may be extremely aggressive and unusually strong and may break the cage apart.

Anti-bear cage. You go inside the cage? Cage goes in the woods? You go in the woods? Bear's in the woods? Our bear? [singing] Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.

Yeah I was kidding. I did try to get photos of him but nothing turned out because of the glass- that part I wasn't kidding. But I have no plans to be any closer.

He was a big boy. Ripped the hinges off the trash bin. I thought someone didn't lock it, but apparently it was.

I drove up by myself so I ate on the go. I proceeded to spill juice from a steak all over me. Kiddingly I thought that ought to help out in bear country. Luckily, however, I arrived about 20 minutes before he did. Glad I didn't meet him outside.

jedstivers":3fhkcacy said:
You know, I've thought of all sorts of just really wild off the wall things but I never have thought. "Lets go build a suit that's bear prof and hang out with the kodiaks". :bang:

Well yeah--you have that big ol split and toothed butane tank thingie on your front loader...I wouldn't be afraid of a bear either--or a T-Rex..

jedstivers":29x7wlia said:
You know, I've thought of all sorts of just really wild off the wall things but I never have thought. "Lets go build a suit that's bear prof and hang out with the kodiaks". :bang:
Reminds me of:
After a number of attacks on hikers and campers in Alaska, the Department of Fish & Game released the following advisory:

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

I've been around tons of black bears. I've even had a grain sack that I was using as a pillow pulled out from under my head by one. The only time I've ever felt any danger was last year when I walked up on a big male on a dead calf with my neighbor. We thought we were going to shoot some pigs but instead we got a huge boar bear that knew we were coming and was standing broadside to us and pumping his front end up and down to show us how big he was. :shock: It's impressive when you're fifty feet away from them. :help:
The trash bears are kind of a double edged sword. The are still wild and still dangerous but they've smelled so much human that they let their guard down and get used to being around us. Much the same way that a backyard cow is easier to handle than a range cow. At the family cabin in Sequoia Park we've had them walk right up to us while we're sitting on the porch. It's like having a big pesky dog that you're scared to reprimand.

Black bear droppings are smaller than Grizz/Brown bear and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

chippie":215jt6a1 said:
I would look into getting a game camera. Even with a fancy digital camera, you would need an extra flash that is stronger than the one on the camera or a slave flash.

Game cam is a good idea and would have got some good pictures.

3way,

I figured they would trap them, but apparently not here. Wonder if New Mexico has a different policy or if they just gave up?

As far as the bear suit, I'm still saving up for my shark suit. I've been putting a little back each year. I'll work on my bear suit next. I bet you could use it for lions as well.

Commercialfarmer":6sciiahp said:
chippie":6sciiahp said:

Game cam is a good idea and would have got some good pictures.

3way,

I figured they would trap them, but apparently not here. Wonder if New Mexico has a different policy or if they just gave up?

As far as the bear suit, I'm still saving up for my shark suit. I've been putting a little back each year. I'll work on my bear suit next. I bet you could use it for lions as well.

Commercialfarmer, maybe you collaborate w/ this guy, who's been working on a bear suit for years. All he needs is lotsa $$$$ to perfect it! ;) http://www.nfb.ca/film/project_grizzly/ There are shorter clips and news on the web. He's been mentioned in several books about bear attacks, and I read those books.

cow pollinater":pppjhksy said:
I've been around tons of black bears. I've even had a grain sack that I was using as a pillow pulled out from under my head by one. The only time I've ever felt any danger was last year when I walked up on a big male on a dead calf with my neighbor. We thought we were going to shoot some pigs but instead we got a huge boar bear that knew we were coming and was standing broadside to us and pumping his front end up and down to show us how big he was. :shock: It's impressive when you're fifty feet away from them. :help:
The trash bears are kind of a double edged sword. The are still wild and still dangerous but they've smelled so much human that they let their guard down and get used to being around us. Much the same way that a backyard cow is easier to handle than a range cow. At the family cabin in Sequoia Park we've had them walk right up to us while we're sitting on the porch. It's like having a big pesky dog that you're scared to reprimand.

I been around a few black bears myself, the ones in the wild will "usually" run like a scalded cat when they see you, but trash bears are a different story. They are use to humans and not so much fear of humans. So is why they are trapped or shot. Same reason you don't feed bears in Yellowstone anymore, I did twice as a young kid, hardly see them these days.

Latest posts