photo of a 2 year old

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
Here is a coming 2 year old bull in our upcoming sale.

Lot 74
LMG GILLS PURSUE 2078
Reg. # 1545542

Nice bull Brian.

Do you hold a lot of bulls over to sell as 2yr olds? I have had some younger bulls that i should do that with but it seems to eat up a lot of profit to feed em for 2 years.

Like i said in another post in a perfect world i would fall calve and sell 18mo old bulls every spring but our country does not make that feasible,

3waycross":2yt40cs2 said:
Nice bull Brian.

Do you hold a lot of bulls over to sell as 2yr olds? I have had some younger bulls that i should do that with but it seems to eat up a lot of profit to feed em for 2 years.

Like i said in another post in a perfect world i would fall calve and sell 18mo old bulls every spring but our country does not make that feasible,

Our program has 2 scheduled calving seasons. 1st season is to calve in Feb/March with a few coming early and late, and the 2nd season is to start calving again May 1 and into June. All the May/Junes are held to be 2's. The yearling are all either made bulls out of for the yearling deal or culled. If something in the Feb/March deal gets behind the group because he became sick or lame we move move them into the holdover group. But if the quality isn't there, they are castrated and sold over the winter sometime. If something is born in April, they automatically get moved into the hold over group.

double v":29wav3o5 said:
good thick long bull. What do the 2year old avg in price?

Last year we sold 98 head for $5400 with a top of $9000.

I would say at 5400 well worth selling 2 yr olds. Keep rolling you have good looking bulls..

That is a very nice specimen right there. That's one heck of an average too! You got a good thing going....

BRG":3p69va1v said:
3waycross":3p69va1v said:
Nice bull Brian.

Our program has 2 scheduled calving seasons. 1st season is to calve in Feb/March with a few coming early and late, and the 2nd season is to start calving again May 1 and into June. All the May/Junes are held to be 2's. The yearling are all either made bulls out of for the yearling deal or culled. If something in the Feb/March deal gets behind the group because he became sick or lame we move move them into the holdover group. But if the quality isn't there, they are castrated and sold over the winter sometime. If something is born in April, they automatically get moved into the hold over group.

I like the bull. I like that you are selling 2 year olds. I have always believed 2 year olds were more usefull to the customers. When you hold the bulls over to sell as 2 year olds, do you not push them as much as the bulls you sell as yearlings? What would be a comparison of average adj yearling wts for the early group and the late group? If the late group has less adj yr wts, have you been able to justify this to the customers? I am assuming this bull is a May/June 2012 born bull. What would his approximate weight and height/frame be in the pic?

alexfarms":k8igmcwb said:
BRG":k8igmcwb said:
3waycross":k8igmcwb said:
Nice bull Brian.

I like the bull. I like that you are selling 2 year olds. I have always believed 2 year olds were more usefull to the customers. When you hold the bulls over to sell as 2 year olds, do you not push them as much as the bulls you sell as yearlings? What would be a comparison of average adj yearling wts for the early group and the late group? If the late group has less adj yr wts, have you been able to justify this to the customers? I am assuming this bull is a May/June 2012 born bull. What would his approximate weight and height/frame be in the pic?

Actually no, this guy is one that we moved to the hold over group last winter. He is an embryo transplant bull calf.

Our yearling weights are lighter on the two-year old bulls compared to the yearling bulls we sell. The first winter the hold over group and the replacement heifers are fed the same ration. I have never figured it out, but I am guessing they would be 150 to 200 lbs or so lighter.

Backbone Ranch":2ubv4616 said:
He looks like a good, solid bull. How much are you feeding him?

We have all the bulls on a .43 Mcal ration consisting of oatlage, silage, distillers, ground corn stalks and ground oat hay, eating all they want in a TMR.

wbvs58":21lb6c88 said:
Nice bull but what happened to his left hind leg, the hock looks blown right up. Is it an old injury?
Ken

I guess I don't see what you are talking about.

BRG":3s33y1iy said:
wbvs58":3s33y1iy said:
Nice bull but what happened to his left hind leg, the hock looks blown right up. Is it an old injury?
Ken

I guess I don't see what you are talking about.

You shoulda bedded that straw deeper. Now look what's happened................ :shock:

Latest posts