Phone Spoofing

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Ever heard of it? Well, it's happening to my wife as I type this. Through the internet you can go through a company that will display any name and number on someone's caller ID when called. Whomever is doing this sometimes wants to do roof repairs and sometimes just hangs up. Had one lady say that seven calls were made to her house and was hung up on every time.

She has already talked to an investigator in her office and it seems that the calls go through other countries making it virtually impossible to track. Our cell phone carrier doesn't even have record that the calls are being made.

She's been home for 2 hours and her phone has rang at least 15 times and has that many voice mails. This crap ain't fun as we are trying to explain to as many as we can when they call.

Yep, it started as a way to call your buddy and have the caller ID show up as "sissy man society" or something silly. The scammers found it to be a way to contact someone looking like a legitimate company, but beware that although the number looks to be within the US, a lot of them are foreign and if you call them, international charges will apply, which you won't know until your next bill. I had a friend who fell for this and racked up over 20 international calls. Very costly, without even figuring in the money she was scammed out of. Sucks, big time, don't call them or respond at all! Can you phone carrier block the number, assuming it is only one?

The problem was they were making calls and using her cell number so everyone was calling her back. Finally had to turned her phone off.

That is happening a lot. When you answer, they know they have a good number and yours goes in the data base. They can either sell the info of good numbers, or sometimes do what they did to you and call more people with your number.

I know that I'm on some list as I get a call about 1-2 times a month from an unkown number that doesn't leave a message. I just don't answer calls unless I know the person.

In the past, I used a program on my cell phone to make sure employees were answering phones properly and quickly and a few times to prank buddies. It was a bit of hassel, apparently it is much easier now.

Maybe its alison and chrissy getting back at you for the female jokes. :shock: :mrgreen:

If my memory serves me right one of the very first jokes Slick told was something about 'blue eyes' and a couple of ladies went for his throat, he was down on his knees apologising, perhaps someone still holds a grudge :lol: