Philando Castillo - settlement reached

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
The family of Philando Castillo settled their wrongful death lawsuit with the city of St Anthony for 3 million dollars.
3 million is the amount of insurance carried by the city. Good settlement for both sides as the family will receive
payment much quicker than a long drawn out court process with more attorney fees. City doesn't risk paying out tax
dollars had a jury returned a verdict in excess of 3 million.

True Grit Farms":25dvpe25 said:
That's one way to look at it I guess.
How would you look at it?
Do you think the family should have tried to break the $18 million record high for a wrongful death settlement?

The record setting 18 million was to the family of a 38 year old mother in Chicago killed by a window falling from the
29th floor of an office building as she waited at the bus stop below.
Jury settlements can be very unpredictable and while 3 million is ridiculously high based on Castillo's projected career
earnings and actual value ... given the circumstances I'm 94% confident in saying a jury would have awarded anywhere
from 2.5 mil - 6 million with an outside shot at even more.

P.S.
wrongful death settlements are tax free to the families

Company I worked for was sued by someone claiming a droplet of water from an irrigation sprinkler (a small one like in your yard) hit him in the eye and he was going to be blind. His doctor testified before the jury saying he had a pre-existing degenerative disease and was going blind no matter what. A physicist testified that it was impossible for a droplet of water to cross our private road, cross the fence, cross the right of way, cross a lane of traffic and go through a cracked driver's window and by the driver's face and hit the man - the passenger - in the eye behind his glasses.

Jury thought it wasn't right the man was going to be blind and awarded him $5 million.

TennesseeTuxedo":3nagouyn said:
Should we cut to the chase and just lock this thread now?
I'm getting that feeling about all these "in the news" type threads these days.. all the same stuff is said in all of them

Jogeephus":24xo1put said:
Jury thought it wasn't right the man was going to be blind and awarded him $5 million.
Injury settlements are often higher than death settlements because ongoing medical expenses are much higher than funeral expenses that a family would one day incur anyway no matter what.

Son of Butch":kw653z94 said:
True Grit Farms":kw653z94 said:
That's one way to look at it I guess.
How would you look at it?
Do you think the family should have tried to break the $18 million record high for a wrongful death settlement?

The record setting 18 million was to the family of a 38 year old mother in Chicago killed by a window falling from the
29th floor of an office building as she waited at the bus stop below.
Jury settlements can be very unpredictable and while 3 million is ridiculously high based on Castillo's projected career
earnings and actual value ... given the circumstances I'm 94% confident in saying a jury would have awarded anywhere
from 2.5 mil - 6 million with an outside shot at even more.

P.S.
wrongful death settlements are tax free to the families

I can't see where the city was negligent at all. The officer and Castillo were the negligent one's in this ordeal. IMO

Officer an employee of the city performing duties the city asked and entrusted him to do... makes the city responsible
for any mistakes he makes during the course of his assigned employment duties.

Son of Butch":1776q872 said:
Officer an employee of the city performing duties the city asked and entrusted him to do... makes the city responsible

That's not the way I see it, and not the way it should be. We let the lawyers make the laws and it's costing use big time.

True Grit Farms":1u57n1j3 said:
Son of Butch":1u57n1j3 said:

That's not the way I see it, and not the way it should be. We let the lawyers make the laws and it's costing use big time.

FedEx driver loses control of his big rig and kills a family on the way to Disneyland. Who do you reckon gets sued?

Where does the liability end? If a driver without a license or insurance kills a family who's getting sued? How about if he's driving your car? The government built the roads, and is supposed to uphold the law of the land so are we liable as taxpayers?

True Grit Farms":18w1vvqg said:
Son of Butch":18w1vvqg said:

You call me different - I know, its a term of endearment. But sometimes you say stuff that makes me wonder if you are an alien from another planet.

Just a joke, Mr. GRIT.

You know dang well it don't work that way just because that is the way you see it!

True Grit Farms":33rd0skj said:
Where does the liability end? If a driver without a license or insurance kills a family who's getting sued? How about if he's driving your car? The government built the roads, and is supposed to uphold the law of the land so are we liable as taxpayers?

The officer is an instrument of City government. The City hires him, authorizes him to act on their behalf and he becomes a representative of the City government. A party who is injured or damaged by the officer will seek justice by holding the City liable. That does not mean that the injured party cannot also hold the officer as an individual liable.

Bright Raven":9svqjlj8 said:
True Grit Farms":9svqjlj8 said:

The officer is an instrument of City government. The City hires him, authorizes him to act on their behalf and he becomes a representative of the City government. A party who is injured or damaged by the officer will seek justice by holding the City liable. That does not mean that the injured party cannot also hold the officer as an individual liable.

I know how it works, but I'm sure glad that I'm not liable for my kids for my lifetime just because their mine. Does every soldiers family get $3 million if he's killed while on duty serving US? Where's the liability end? This is a gray area and life would be so much simpler if everything was back and white.

True Grit Farms":1qx0w1dg said:
Where does the liability end?
A good, fair and honest question.

Employers are liable for negligent acts or omissions by their employees when an employee is carrying out duties
authorized by the employer within the scope of their employment.
It falls under the common law principle of.... One (employer) who acts through another (employee) is acting in
their own (employer's) interests.

Liability ends when employee is performing a duty unrelated to the scope of their employment.

Example: the officer operates a lemonade stand on his day off... and shoots a customer for stealing a glass from his
lemonade stand... then his employer has no liability as the employee was performing duties in his own interests on his
own time and outside of the scope of his authorized employment.

True Grit Farms":3fdge9dk said:
Does every soldiers family get $3 million if he's killed while on duty serving US?
No, because he is employed as a paid mercenary, accepting money in exchange for his service.
IF they don't like it then they should get a different job or not have taken the job to start with.

Death gratuity for in-the-line-of duty death from the military is $100,000 lump sum.
Serviceman's life group insurance pays another $400,000 off a $23/month premium.

107-Shots-Fired-at-71-Year-old-Woman.jpg

Only by the grace of God and poor marksmanship did the 2 women in this truck survive.
City of LA settled with them for $4.2 million + buying them a new truck (another $44,000) but only settled under the condition that the city would admit no wrongdoing.
City said it was a good deal, as they wouldn't have to go to court and explain how 8 of it's finest officers all shot up the wrong color, make, and model truck, with 2 women in it instead of one man.
Officers all kept their jobs and lost zero pay.

Latest posts