Philando Castillo - settlement reached

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1khuzq8x said:
Death gratuity for in-the-line-of duty death from the military is $100,000 lump sum.
Serviceman's life group insurance pays another $400,000 off a $23/month premium.

107-Shots-Fired-at-71-Year-old-Woman.jpg

Only by the grace of God and poor marksmanship did the 2 women in this truck survive.
City of LA settled with them for $4.2 million + buying them a new truck (another $44,000) but only settled under the condition that the city would admit no wrongdoing.
City said it was a good deal, as they wouldn't have to go to court and explain how 8 of it's finest officers all shot up the wrong color, make, and model truck, with 2 women in it instead of one man.
Officers all kept their jobs and lost zero pay.
There's something that's wrong, paying people off to avoid admitting wrongdoing.. it's nothing short of corruption

True Grit Farms":22v52q43 said:
If I'm not mistaken a cops job is to serve and protect, not to kill the the public.
Police have the authority to use deadly force if necessary while serving and protecting.

BUT Philando Castillo was not employed as either a cop nor a soldier, so I don't understand how you make the
connection of his family receiving a 3 million wrongful death settlement...
to a soldier not getting a 3 million wrongful death settlement when killed during the course of their employment.

The world is geared to operating within a 105-120 I.Q. level, above or below those thresholds is a liability.

Nesikep":3b1mjhgx said:
There's something that's wrong, paying people off to avoid admitting wrongdoing.. it's nothing short of corruption
I've not seen a police related settlement NOT worded that way.
If that had been me in the truck, the case would have gone to court no matter what the city offered.

greybeard":21l5nc2h said:
Nesikep":21l5nc2h said:
I've not seen a police related settlement NOT worded that way.
If that had been me in the truck, the case would have gone to court no matter what the city offered.
Yes, some people are easily bought, hence my usage of the term corruption..
I dont' know what I'd do.. sure, a part of me would want them to admit wrongdoing, but 4.2 mil buys a nice ranch and a good bunch of cows!

Son of Butch":3fpu93k3 said:
True Grit Farms":3fpu93k3 said:
If I'm not mistaken a cops job is to serve and protect, not to kill the the public.
Police have the authority to use deadly force if necessary while serving and protecting.

BUT Philando Castillo was not employed as either a cop nor a soldier, so I don't understand how you make the
connection of his family receiving a 3 million wrongful death settlement...
to a soldier not getting a 3 million wrongful death settlement when killed during the course of their employment.

The world is geared to operating within a 105-120 I.Q. level, above or below those thresholds is a liability.

Butch, it's a small thing but maybe we can refer to his correct name, Castile. Just seems respectful to use his proper name, especially given the circumstances. No offense intended.

greybeard":1a5p8stc said:
Death gratuity for in-the-line-of duty death from the military is $100,000 lump sum.
Serviceman's life group insurance pays another $400,000 off a $23/month premium.

107-Shots-Fired-at-71-Year-old-Woman.jpg

Only by the grace of God and poor marksmanship did the 2 women in this truck survive.
City of LA settled with them for $4.2 million + buying them a new truck (another $44,000) but only settled under the condition that the city would admit no wrongdoing.
City said it was a good deal, as they wouldn't have to go to court and explain how 8 of it's finest officers all shot up the wrong color, make, and model truck, with 2 women in it instead of one man.
Officers all kept their jobs and lost zero pay.

Every cop that fired their weapon at the truck with the 2 ladies should of went to jail for attempted manslaughter. Or should the whole police department been put in jail?

I think the officers should have at least all been fired, the Chief of police sacked and the officers saddled with paying the settlement.

Comparison:
(these few are just a drop in the bucket)
MICHAEL BROWN: The St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Missouri, agreed to a $1.5 million settlement with the parents of Brown, an unarmed, black 18-year-old fatally shot by white Ferguson officer Darren Wilson in 2014.

WALTER SCOTT: North Charleston, South Carolina, in 2015 paid $6.5 million to the family of Scott, an unarmed, black man who was killed by white police officer Michael T. Slager as Scott ran following a traffic stop. Slager pleaded guilty last month to a civil rights violation.

FREDDIE GRAY: Baltimore reached a $6.4 million settlement in 2015 with the parents of Gray, a 25-year-old black man who suffered a critical spinal injury in the back of a transport van after his arrest and died a week later.

ERIC GARNER: New York City reached a $5.9 million settlement in 2015 with the family of Garner, an unarmed, black man who died after being put in a white police officer's chokehold.

DANROY HENRY JR.: Pleasantville, New York, in 2016 paid $6 million to the family of Henry, a 20-year-old black college student shot to death by a white officer in 2010.

RICARDO DIAZ-ZEFERINO: The families of Ricardo Diaz-Zeferino and two other men agreed to accept $4.7 million from the city of Gardena, California. Diaz-Zeferino's death in June 2013 occurred after the three were mistaken for robbery suspects and three officers opened fire. Diaz-Zeferino's family received $2.8 million. Eutiquio Acevedo Mendez, who was wounded, received $1.7 million. The third man, who was unharmed, received $200,000. Diaz-Zeferino was Latino.

TAMIR RICE: Cleveland agreed in 2016 to pay $6 million to Tamir's family. The 12-year-old boy had an airsoft gun that shoots nonlethal plastic pellets when a white officer shot him in 2014.

TONY ROBINSON JR.: Madison, Wisconsin, this year agreed to pay $3.35 million to relatives of Robinson, 19, who was black and unarmed when he was fatally shot after allegedly punching an officer. An attorney for Robinson's family said three of the seven shots were fired from several feet away, contradicting the account that the officer was being attacked.

DONTRE HAMILTON: Milwaukee this year reached a $2.3 million tentative settlement with the family of Hamilton, a 31-year-old black man with schizophrenia who was shot 14 times by a white police officer responding to a complaint of a man sleeping in a downtown park in April 2014.

JONATHAN FERRELL: His family agreed to a $2.25 million settlement with the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, after a white police officer fatally shot the unarmed, black man in September 2013.

JORGE AZUCENA: The mother of Azucena received a $1.35 million settlement from Los Angeles in 2015. Azucena, 26, died of an asthma attack about 40 minutes after he was taken into custody for running a red light in September 2013.

LaTANYA HAGGERTY: Chicago settled a wrongful death lawsuit with Haggerty's family in 2001 for $18 million. Haggerty, who was black, was shot to death by an officer when she was a passenger in a car that was chased by police in June 1999. The officer, who is black, said she mistook a shiny object in Haggerty's hand for a weapon.

I have a serious question. Are police shooting more people, or are we just more aware of it because of cell phone and dashcams, etc? Years ago, we never heard of any police jumping the gun (so to speak). Not looking for a debate on "why", just: is it true that it's happening more, or has it always been known in poor communities and the "rest of us" are just now getting a ride on the clue bus? I've always been a big "law and order" person, and have a good friend who's a cop. But I have to say, many of the instances the past couple of years have really troubled me...

Crime % doesn't have to change for number totals to go up...so sure
more people in the nation, more police on duty = more everything including shootings
from 1967 - 2006 the population of the usa increased 50% going from 200 million to 300+ million

50 years ago 1967 usa population crossed 200 million
Oct 31st 2006 usa broke 300 million
That 100 million increase from 1967 to 2006 consisted of 36 million Hispanic (36%) 34 million white (34%)
16 million black (16%) 14 million Asian/P.I. (14%)

putting that 40 year growth spurt at a 2 -1 increase in the total minority population

I think it's a bit of both.. social media and technology certainly make the stories reach us, but I am thinking they're getting more common as well... I think the judicial system is partly to blame when the officers repeatedly get off without any disciplinary action against them... I think if it happened 30 or more years ago, the chief of police, if no one else would hang the guy out to dry.

GB.. some of the cases you present there are just baffling.. seriously, a guy who's supposedly sleeping needs to be shot 14 times??? How bad a shot are you?

On that LA shooting posted earlier.. I'd say the primary person in charge should face the most scrutiny... who said "I found that truck that was stolen" (or whatever reason they were looking for it)... which officer opened fire first?

I do support LEO's, but without the bad apples getting thrown out, the bunch will get spoiled.

I don't know if you heard of the taser incident at the Vancouver Airport about 10 years ago.. A Polish man, who didn't speak English was here to see his mother, There was some paperwork malfunction, but the long and the short of it is he was frustrated and couldn't even go have a cigarette anywhere, or call his mother.. End result is that 4 of Vancouver's finest tasered him repeatedly and he died of a heart attack... One of those officers was transferred to my town

Ok, so the US pop went from 200mil to 300mil. Then we'd expect to hear about just 1.5x the number of police-involved shootings as in 1967. I'd be willing to bet we are "hearing" (and "seeing", and reading about) far more than can be explained away by a simple rise in population. Moreover, per your stats, the increase in the white pop has been greater than the increase in the black population. Yet, I don't think the news stories (or stats) support that there's been a disproportionate rise in cops killing white folks.

People in poor communities (especially poor minority communities) say that this has been going on since, well, forever; and that we luckier folk are just now learning of the issue. Is that true? Or have cops become much more inclined to use lethal force?

Seems police are trained to be much more aggressive in dealing with the public today than they were 35 years ago.
It may have coincided with the 'war on drugs' and the rise of gangs and increased use of violence in dealing drugs.
The Black Panthers of the late 60s early 70s were very tame compared to the Bloods and Crips that replaced them.

In my judgment police are currently trained in a manner that escalates situations rather than defusing them.

On a side note, a few years ago I researched the disproportionate incarceration rate of blacks.
I found that in EVERY COUNTRY in the world blacks are incarcerated at a rate disproportionate to the general
population. Even in countries with 94% black populations the prison inmates are 96% black.
But to point out Facts regarding differences between races will get you labeled as a racist... so I'll stop there.

Son of Butch":3dzteft3 said:
Seems police are trained to be much more aggressive in dealing with the public today than they were 35 years ago.
It may have coincided with the 'war on drugs' and the rise of gangs and increased use of violence in dealing drugs.
The Black Panthers of the late 60s early 70s were very tame compared to the Bloods and Crips that replaced them.

In my judgment police are currently trained in a manner that escalates situations rather than defusing them.

On a side note a few years ago I researched the disproportionate incarceration rate of blacks.
I found that in EVERY COUNTRY in the world blacks are incarcerated at a rate disproportionate to the general
population. Even in countries with 94% black populations the prison inmates are 96% black.
But to point out Facts regarding differences between races will get you labeled as a racist... so I'll stop there.
:D

Odd how that works. Some have a response before they read a post and think about what someone said.

I think the incarceration rate of blacks is a bit of a vicious cycle.. Many are in poor neighborhoods, and in those neighborhoods crime is high, parenting is low, so at a young age they get busted for shoplifting, then maybe it's dealing, they have a record, and nothing around for gainful employment, so the cycle continues.. It's not that it's impossible to get out of it, it's just that the majority cannot... I don't think anything is really going to change it, government programs will certainly successfully spend money trying though.

If you look into the McDonalds coffee lawsuit, you might find that it's less ridiculous than it sounds.. It was right on the cusp of boiling, far hotter than what "hot coffee" ever is.. Most hot tap water is only 140F for the very reason that much hotter than that and severe burns happen far too quickly

I think another big part of it is if you have no money and you rely on whatever attorney you are given, well, a lot of them suck.. Meanwhile those with deep pockets never go to jail, even for worse crimes, and that's regardless of color of skin..

And ever since the McDonalds fiasco, it's nearly impossible in the USA to get a cup of hot coffee as it was intended to be served...

CL00LQfWwAAxrD8.jpg

coffee1-300x258.jpg

Latest posts