Phenotype opinions wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

Greenjeans> Unless you have access to outside resources it is up to you what you decide about the bull.
Accept comments and advice from these pages at your own risk. Except for those who have mailed you a check! LVR

That's a case where you would really want to see that bull on the move, because I'm not trusting a thing about that photo....
Professional cattle photographers are masters at capturing animals at their very best. I agree seeing them move is a much better way to appraise them.
Amateur photographers aren't nearly as skilled at deception as the pros.

View attachment 4166
This is a prospective Purebred Gelbvieh A.I. sire. Fire away at him!
Franchise. Lots of people have been using him with success and I've been scouting his babies to see what they look like. I recommend looking at some of the sale catalogues with yearlings out of him, lots of good prospects, I wouldn't say I am in love with him, he has some strengths, he definitely packs on pounds for being heifer approved. I'm going to be owly and say that if you're going to market an animal to be an AI sire, you should get a better picture than this because if you try and find another photo of him anywhere, good luck, and I haven't been able to find video of him walking either. Made me not want to use him. Now, I do like some of his progeny and I'm basing a lot of my like of this guy based on the offspring he has produced. I think you have to look at your cows and see if he's a good match. I know his numbers are good but I look at epds after I think he's going to produce something good. If it's a match then yay, but ... I would use him on feminine cows for sure, less fancy animals I think he might be too butchy. The other thing I'm not sure about is his upper shoulder rotation, I like a higher shoulder rotation and especially on well fed animals you usually can't tell until you see them walk. I would select a fancy cow with a nice head and a tight front and a long tail switch to mate with him and I think the mating would be quite good.

View attachment 4166
This is a prospective Purebred Gelbvieh A.I. sire. Fire away at him!
If the end result is terminal calves he would be ok. He certainly has more bone and mass than most purebred Gelbvieh.
If the end goal is breeding stock, that would be a hard no from me. I do not like the shape of his front shoulders and would not like to pass that to heifers. I don't want to pull calves.

Franchise. Lots of people have been using him with success and I've been scouting his babies to see what they look like. I recommend looking at some of the sale catalogues with yearlings out of him, lots of good prospects, I wouldn't say I am in love with him, he has some strengths, he definitely packs on pounds for being heifer approved. I'm going to be owly and say that if you're going to market an animal to be an AI sire, you should get a better picture than this because if you try and find another photo of him anywhere, good luck, and I haven't been able to find video of him walking either. Made me not want to use him. Now, I do like some of his progeny and I'm basing a lot of my like of this guy based on the offspring he has produced. I think you have to look at your cows and see if he's a good match. I know his numbers are good but I look at epds after I think he's going to produce something good. If it's a match then yay, but ... I would use him on feminine cows for sure, less fancy animals I think he might be too butchy. The other thing I'm not sure about is his upper shoulder rotation, I like a higher houlder rotation and especially on well fed animals you usually can't tell until you see them walk. I would select a fancy cow with a nice head and a tight front and a long tail switch to mate with him and I think the mating would be quite good.
He was pictured in the sale catalog of the sale he sold in if you were looking for another picture. The picture we are using to advertise him that was posted in this thread was taken on March in a dry lot in Iowa and the edited in the grassy background.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-24-12-34-22-2.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-24-12-34-22-2.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts