Pharo cattle reds and blacks

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Watched some of Pharos bulls sell yesterday, sold pretty good, sold really good actually. Anybody else see that?

I wonder if the CAB rule change will start to effect the frame scores chosen for bulls? Like maybe the pendulum is about to swing the other way in a big way?

KMacGinley":2dl13yb2 said:
Watched some of Pharos bulls sell yesterday, sold pretty good, sold really good actually. Anybody else see that?

I wonder if the CAB rule change will start to effect the frame scores chosen for bulls? Like maybe the pendulum is about to swing the other way in a big way?

What breeds was he selling? I know he had Tarentaise at one time along with other breeds.

I have about an hour and a half of it recorded on the DVR and saw alittle of it, seems like they had different epd's

Mostly it is Red and Black Angus but he sells some composite bulls (1/4-1/2 Tarentaise, rest angus and Hereford composition), some Herfords and they sold a few Tarentaise bulls again this year for the first time in a few..By a few I mean like 4 or 5... They are a bit different than the two Tarentaise bulls we have walking around here but they are Tarentaise.... didn't have time to watch it, meant to but was busy working calves.

KMacGinley":3e0klfhy said:

Yes, I did watch most of the sale. His cattle looked better this year than some have in years past. His philosophy is pretty harsh, but he can make money by the reduction of labor and feed expense, all the while developing a hardy line of cattle.

His "auction sale" style is innovative, and it didn't seem to me that it cost him any loss of average sale income than a routine auction would have brought. Certainly less stressful!

I agree with his thoughts about lighter weight brood cows (1100# + or -) costing less to maintain and still producing a 600# calf is correct - if the genetics are optimal for that operation - and they CAN be. 1400 - 1600 pound cows cost more to keep and feed, and sometimes their fertility is lacking. If you miss one year of production, that expense and loss will feed a lot of 1100# good producers. It is all relative to the bottom line and $Profit.

DOC HARRIS

Schnurrbart":1q1r8xqn said:
KMacGinley":1q1r8xqn said:

What breeds was he selling? I know he had Tarentaise at one time along with other breeds.

They were primarily Black and Red angus. Some Herfs and Tarentaise. I didn't see the others sell, just some of the Angus . The lead off Red Angus Bull went for $20.250 and he was a great looking bull.

Just depends on whether or not they are 1100lbs because they are really moderate or if they haven't enough to eat.

1100 is pretty small for most people up here. Bred heifers with no mgmt will weigh 1100 in the fall. So here we go again, frame score would be of more importance than their weight.

How do you control weight? Don't usually give them enough to eat. OCC talks about the frame score 3-4 cows that weigh up to 1400lbs. How wide are these 1100lbers?

I'm more of a believer in frame score than weight for sure. I'd rather have a 4 or 5 frame cow that weighs 1450 than a 7 frame or better cow weighing 1450. That 7 framer is going to eat more and not going to be as wide and as meaty.

If the cow weighs 1100 pounds then the calf has a predisposition to weigh the same as a mature animal. How do you feed those calves to get them to 1250- 1300 pounds without being anything more than a butterball?

Under "Typical" feed conditions, maybe the 1,100 lbs cows would be 1,400 lbs cows. Maybe they were starved to the lower weight and have genetics to be bigger. Maybe.

Friend of mine has one of the Pharo Red Angus bulls. The heifers make good small framed cows. He gets a beating at the salebarn when he sells the small framed steers.

dun

Latest posts