PG when Separating Bulls and Heifers at Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Who else is administering a Prostaglandin to heifers (7 to 8 months) after separating from the same age group of bull calves?

I have seen a couple heifers in heat at 5 and 6 months of age. The heifer group of fall calves were running with bull calves that were quite precocious. I doubt the bull calves were fertile but as a precaution, I gave each heifer a shot of Lutalyse until I ran out and will do the rest tomorrow.

Then yes - I do it. Got tired of calving 14mo old heifers. Some of them raised calves and became cows - but it knocked the good out of them, and they never did raise a calf like they should have, even after several years and several kicks at the can.

I try to separate the replacement heifers out from any bulls at about 5 months.. so far it's worked well for me.. I keep a pretty close eye on them, if I did see the bull hanging out with one I'd lute her 2 weeks later though.

Nesikep":2zax8g16 said:
I try to separate the replacement heifers out from any bulls at about 5 months.. so far it's worked well for me.. I keep a pretty close eye on them, if I did see the bull hanging out with one I'd lute her 2 weeks later though.

They have been weaned for a couple months but were all running together in the weaning pasture. Then 16 days ago, I put the bulls in the bull pen. I wonder at what age it is likely to expect a bull to become fertile?

Have seen my own bulls riding with their diks out @ 7mo - if they're shooting anything potent or not, they're still going through the motions.

We pull all bulls at least 4 weeks prior to weaning and every heifer gets a shot of Lute. Not only can a 7 month old bull successfully breed, so can a 7 month old bull with only one nut. Got the t-shirt; it was a painful learning experience.

Supa Dexta":263k7kp8 said:
Have seen my own bulls riding with their diks out @ 7mo - if they're shooting anything potent or not, they're still going through the motions.

I see that too. Going to finish giving lutalyse to the others tomorrow. I thought maybe I was being over concerned.

Thanks.

At booster shot time 2-3 weeks post calving we give a shot of lute and dex

There is a time frame after pregnancy starts that just lute isn;t effective. We just make sure it will be open by giving the dex. When we sell feeder heifers in the programs we use we have to certify them open. The penalty for them bing bred is pretty substantial. Or so I have been told by a couple of people that got caught with bred heifers in the program

dun":1efvb6sr said:
There is a time frame after pregnancy starts that just lute isn;t effective. We just make sure it will be open by giving the dex. When we sell feeder heifers in the programs we use we have to certify them open. The penalty for them bing bred is pretty substantial. Or so I have been told by a couple of people that got caught with bred heifers in the program

Thank you. I don't think these could be very far into a pregnancy.

dun":azd10s6s said:
I don;t recall what the magic number is

dun,

I picked up more Lutalyse yesterday. Vet said did not need dex unless I suspected the potential pregnancies were 3 months old.

Bright Raven":2pghnro4 said:
dun":2pghnro4 said:
I don;t recall what the magic number is

dun,

I picked up more Lutalyse yesterday. Vet said did not need dex unless I suspected the potential pregnancies were 3 months old.
I knew there was a time frame but didn;t recall what it was
Kind of like a belt and suspenders

Latest posts