Petrified tree

Help Support CattleToday:

I have found several pieces of petrified wood here on the farm. The biggest one I have found was about the size of a softball.

I'm a rockhead, nice finds! I was happy with a couple limb casts I dug a couple weeks ago. I have a 14 inch, gear driving oil bath saw, we cut and polish a bunch. The only time my kids ever fought over a shovel is rockhounding!!

Used to see some come out of swampy areas nearer the coast. They called them petrified but I do not know if they were or not. But for a few weeks, some would glow in the dark.

I'm not too far from you, in Milam County. A friend of mine in Brazos County has some property on the west side of Bryan in which there were 2 complete petrified tree trucks, about 20 feet long. One was broken in 2 section and one was in 3 sections.

Big tree sections like what you have are worth thousands of dollars.

Interesting fact - our area is the only place in the world that a specific rock exists. I've heard there was a meteorite that flew in the atmosphere for about 750 miles from the now Austin area over the Brazos Valley before hitting ground in east Texas. The tail debris soil flew into the upper atmosphere and came back down in the form of a black rock. It is believed this meteorite is what created the huge amount of petrified trees we have. I've seen several houses built with petrified wood rocks in the Brazos Valley, too.

I'm not too far from you, in Milam County. A friend of mine in Brazos County has some property on the west side of Bryan in which there were 2 complete petrified tree trucks, about 20 feet long. One was broken in 2 section and one was in 3 sections.

Interesting fact - our area is the only place in the world that a specific rock exists. I've heard there was a meteorite that flew in the atmosphere for about 750 miles from the now Austin area over the Brazos Valley before hitting ground in east Texas. The tail debris soil flew into the upper atmosphere and came back down in the form of a black rock. It is believed this meteorite is what created the huge amount of petrified trees we have. I've seen several houses built with petrified wood rocks in the Brazos Valley, too.
Used to be quite a bit of that odd rock around Cooks Point.
(You can also dig plenty of fossilized sea creatures both sides of the Brazos River Whiskey bridge at hiway 21.) Don't have to do much digging after high water)

This is in burleson county.
We dug up a good size piece in brazos county some years back.

Latest posts