PETA's Top Ten Reasons Not to Eat Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
Ok, not sure if this has been posted before. Here is PETA's Top Ten Reasons Not To Eat Cows. I think, as beef producers, we should be aware of what others are saying about us. Im not posting this to cause a flare of fighting, just awarness of what those against us have to say.
Taken from http://www.goveg.com/f-top10cows.asp

1) Help Your Health by Leaving Cows Alone
Eating beef products, which are loaded with artery-clogging cholesterol and saturated fat, is a good way to increase both your waistline and your chances of developing impotence and diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's disease, and asthma. Research has shown that vegetarians are 50 percent less likely to develop heart disease than are meat-eaters, and they have 40 percent of the cancer rate of meat-eaters. Plus, meat-eaters are nine times more likely to be obese than vegans are. Every time you eat animal-derived products, you're also ingesting bacteria, antibiotics, dioxins, hormones, and a host of other substances, some toxic, that can accumulate in your body and remain there for years. Learn more about how consuming animal products affects your health.

2)Cows Are Too Nice to Eat
Cows are gentle, social animals. Each cow has the ability to recognize more than 100 other cows, and they form close friendships with members of their herd. Researchers report that cows grieve when their friends or family members die. Learn more about cows' personalities and some of their amazing feats.

3)Even Cowboys Don't Eat Cows Anymore
Clint Eastwood recently said, "I try to stick to a vegan diet—heavy on fruit, vegetables, tofu, and other soy products." Howard Lyman was a fourth-generation cattle rancher who became vegan after learning about the effects of factory farming—he now tours the country promoting a vegetarian diet. Other tough guys who refuse to eat animals include hip-hop legends Andre 3000 and Mos Def, actors Tobey Maguire and Joaquin Phoenix, NFL superstar Ricky Williams, and Olympian Carl Lewis.

4)Hormones: It's What's for Dinner
To make cows grow at an unnaturally fast rate, the cattle industry implants them with pellets full of hormones. While low levels of naturally occurring hormones are found in various foods, many scientists are concerned that the artificial hormones injected into cows cause health problems in people who eat them. The Los Angeles Times reports that confidential industry reports have found extremely high levels of estradiol, "a potent cancer-causing and gene-damaging estrogen," in meat products from cows treated with the hormone. According to the Times, "[T]he amount of estradiol in two hamburgers eaten in one day by an 8-year-old boy could increase his total hormone levels by as much as 10% …." Learn more about meat and hormones.

5) Torture 101
Cattle are subjected to abuses that would warrant felony cruelty-to-animals charges if they were committed against dogs or cats. Cows have their horns sliced off; they are branded, which causes excruciating third-degree burns; and males are castrated. This is all done without any painkillers. They are injected full of hormones and confined to overcrowded, dusty feedlots for months. Then they are shipped without food or water to the slaughterhouse, where a metal rod is shot through their brains and they are hung upside-down and have their throats slit. Because line speeds are so fast, many of the animals are still conscious throughout the process. Learn more about cows in factory farms and slaughterhouses.

6)Stealing Food From the Poor

It is inefficient to grow grains and other feed crops for animals—only a fraction of what we feed them is actually turned into flesh that humans can eat. The vast majority is used by the animal to live and grow. The highly respected Worldwatch Institute says, "In a world where an estimated one in every six people goes hungry each day, the politics of meat consumption are increasingly heated, since meat production is an inefficient use of grain—the grain is used more efficiently when consumed directly by humans. Continued growth in meat output is dependent on feeding grain to animals, creating competition for grain between affluent meat-eaters and the world's poor." Learn how you can help fight world hunger by going vegetarian.

7) Amazing Escapes
Millions of cows are killed in slaughterhouses each year in the United States. The few who manage to escape pull off some amazing feats. A cow named Emily got away from a Massachusetts slaughterhouse, leapt over a 5-foot gate, and survived for several weeks in the woods during the New England winter before she was rescued. A pregnant cow named Suzie was being loaded onto a freighter when she ran back down the gangplank, leapt into the river, and swam across. She eluded capture before being rescued by PETA and taken to a sanctuary. And Molly, a cow from Montana, recently escaped, crossing the Missouri River before finally being caught. While all three of these cows touched their communities' hearts so much that they were released to sanctuaries, the millions of nameless cows killed by the meat industry each year aren't so lucky.

8)Filthy Air, Toxic Water
Factory farms and feedlots produce a staggering amount of feces that pollutes both the water and the air. Stored in massive lagoons, the manure seeps into nearby rivers and streams, killing fish and ruining the quality of the water. The feces also emit harmful chemicals and microorganisms into the air. Numerous studies and governmental reports have shown higher rates of miscarriages, respiratory problems, and neurological diseases among people who live near factory farms. Learn more about how factory farms are harming rural America.

9)It's Mad to Eat Meat
Mad cow disease is already in the United States, and the U.S. government is not following World Health Organization recommendations for ensuring that it doesn't spread. While Japan and all Europe countries have banned the feeding of animal protein to farmed animals, the practice continues across the board in the U.S. meat industry, which is just begging for a "mad chicken," a "mad pig," or some other variant of the disease in the U.S. meat supply. Because it takes years for the disease to show up in humans, there's no way of knowing how many Americans have already been infected. Amazingly, the U.S. government still refuses to take the problem seriously. In 2005, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) tested less than 1 percent of U.S. cows for the disease. Unbelievably, even though the third case of mad cow disease in the United States was found in 2006, the USDA announced that it is scaling back this testing.

10)It's Easy to Be Kind

Leaving cows and other animals off your plate is easier than ever. You can now get tasty veggie burgers at numerous restaurants, including Burger King, Johnny Rockets, and Ruby Tuesday. Check out our favorite beef substitutes, all of which are delicious and cholesterol- and cruelty-free.

----You can go to the website for all the "learn more" clickies in the paragraphs above. Also, you can find Top Ten Reasons not to eat other farm animals.

well i already grilled steaks for supper tonite. it would be wasteful not to eat it...

karlie45":3j8350ad said:
NFL superstar Ricky Williams

A guy who is just back from his 4th failed drug test (mary jane).
Yeah, that is a superstar. I'm glad to hear he is avoiding all those non-existent hormone residues. It might affect his performance.

So I really don't get it. What do they suppose we should do with all of these farm animals????? I truly cannot understand these people and their thinking.

CKC1586":2arepwu1 said:
So I really don't get it. What do they suppose we should do with all of these farm animals????? I truly cannot understand these people and their thinking.
I was thinking the same thing. They dont want us to kill them. They dont want us to feed them. They dont want us to keep them in pens. Where are they suppsed to go?

Add this ding bat to the list.What a waste of flesh. :mad:
Mills Wants People to Cut Down on Dairy
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:47 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Heather Mills got steamed up over milk and other dairy products while her estranged husband, Paul McCartney, joined a more modest effort to save a local post office.

Mills focused on the environmental impact of deforestation and livestock on global warming, citing figures from animal rights group Vegetarians International Voice for Animals (Viva!).

"When (Viva!) told me it was 18 percent, that's more than all global transport, I was in shock. Airplanes only bring 3 percent, while they are being picked on with taxes," she said Monday.

Mills, 39, asked people to "cut down on one or two meat and dairy and fish dishes a week."

"We are the only species that drinks another person's milk, so why aren't we drinking rat's milk, or dog's milk, or cat's milk, that's how crazy it is," she said.

"It's mad that we are having cow's milk. Even cows don't drink it after one year but we continue forever."

Mills has posed for a poster for the Viva! campaign, headlined: "Hey, Meaty, you're making me so hot!"

Meanwhile, McCartney, 65, threw his support to a campaign to prevent the closing of a post office in Lower Heswall, 3 miles southwest of Liverpool, near one of his homes.

"This village post office is a vital part of local community life and as such should be saved for future generations to cherish. Its 100-year history should not be cast aside lightly," the ex-Beatle said in a message read outside the post office by his brother Mike.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=284819&GT1=7703

"Sell the Sizzle, not the steak"
The folks who champion the "natural", "renewable", "sustainable", "organic" product are selling "no cruelty", "environmentally friendly", and a number of other meaningless platitudes. They aren't selling nutrition.

They are less environmentally friendly than a 4000 sow confinement facility. If you buy organic tomatoes, there was likely cow manure in contact with your BLT. How is that good?

If you can find enough customers for $4.50/lb Turkey, be my guest. I think a very few farmers who also have a gift for self promotion will make a living at that game. I want to produce maximum pounds of feeder calf for a mass market. I resent having my VERY good product slandered as a "hormone loaded", 'unhealthy" product. I eat it, and I'm pretty healthy. The folks who criticize my product look a lot paler and weaker than me.

why aren't we drinking rat's milk,
[/quote]

Dear Heather,
You are about to get half a Beatle in your divorce. I'm single, and I'm decent looking and I make my own way...well, maybe not like Paul, but I owe no one.
Heather, we aren't drinking rat's milk because it is damned hard to get the milkers on those teats. We tried doing the milking by hand, but it took half an hour just to milk one. We went back to Holsteins. They rock. They are the only udders bigger than yours. Paul really needs to get over those.
Yours truly
John
ps call me BR 549

Generally, the vegan and animal rights extremists ability to twist statistics and promote their misinformation is a real threat to the livestock industry and to the health of those susceptible to believe them.

I try to support livestock producer public relation groups and respond to any legislation that might limit our industry.

Thanks for posting this.

thanks for the chuckle. :lol: Some of these arent even real reasons not to eat beef, they are just other facts. I like number 5 lol.

It's amazing to me that no one ever makes them back up this crap with facts. It's just accepted as true by the masses.

1 Reason To Eat Cows - They taste nice.

I saw a shirt the other day :
I LOVE ANIMALS in bold
THEY'RE YUMMY in a lighter shade

Stealing food from the Poor? Maybe if they didn't live in a desert, maybe if they didn't have a half dozen children, maybe if they got a job. Jimminy, next they are going to blame us for ice caps melting on Mars. :roll:

Jogeephus":fv3460mf said:
Stealing food from the Poor? Maybe if they didn't live in a desert, maybe if they didn't have a half dozen children, maybe if they got a job. Jimminy, next they are going to blame us for ice caps melting on Mars. :roll:

Jo, That get a job thing is the first thing that comes to mind.

They were showing all the food banks being out of food last p.m. on the news. There was a kid with 9 siblings picking up a turkey. NINE SIBLINGS!! (a little beyond that half dozen) We go to the grocery store to buy food, they go to the food bank.

Kids need to eat. It is not their fault their parents did what the did. But the worse part was the interviewee said, "Mom's about to have a little brother." Guess that will make 10.

backhoeboogie":100am8z0 said:
Jogeephus":100am8z0 said:

Jo, That get a job thing is the first thing that comes to mind.

They were showing all the food banks being out of food last p.m. on the news. There was a kid with 9 siblings picking up a turkey. NINE SIBLINGS!! (a little beyond that half dozen) We go to the grocery store to buy food, they go to the food bank.

Kids need to eat. It is not their fault their parents did what the did. But the worse part was the interviewee said, "Mom's about to have a little brother." Guess that will make 10.

Right you are BHB.
Back when I was a kid(7 children) the more kids you had the more farm hands you had, and each one pulled their own weight.
Now the more kids you have the more welfare ya can get, and each kid puts on weight.

Cal