Pet showcase

Help Support CattleToday:

They'll listen. It's just like training any other dog, it takes a bit of time. We use e-collars sometimes, and will pop a whip sometimes to get their attention. I very rarely have to nick a dog with an e-collar once they are well started. They call out and listen really well after they've been working for a couple hours and are real tired. :cboy:

My Cat is a great dog, but I cannot call her off once she's locked in to chasing something. If I tell her no before she takes off, or put my hand on her, she stops no problem. Otherwise, I might as well be telling her hurry up. :roll: Very frustrating.
What's an e collar?

Shock collar. Ours are waterproof and really tough. Same idea as using a choke chain, except the shock collar gives you a 2,000 foot leash. You have to give a command that they already know, and if they ignore you you have about 3-5 seconds to correct them with the collar. A catahoula (or any cur dog) is real smart, they figure it out quick. Kenzie never gets shocked anymore, there is a "tone" on the collar too that you can use to get their attention. That's all she needs.

I know what you mean about getting locked on though! The whole world shrinks down to them and that group of cattle.

fargus":1ua3xr98 said:
Shock collar. Ours are waterproof and really tough. Same idea as using a choke chain, except the shock collar gives you a 2,000 foot leash. You have to give a command that they already know, and if they ignore you you have about 3-5 seconds to correct them with the collar. A catahoula (or any cur dog) is real smart, they figure it out quick. Kenzie never gets shocked anymore, there is a "tone" on the collar too that you can use to get their attention. That's all she needs.

That's the only thing that's kept me from getting a shock collar. I really think Bailey is smart enough to realize once I take the shock collar off, she's free again.

I know what you mean about getting locked on though! The whole world shrinks down to them and that group of cattle.

If only it were just the cattle. Squirrels, rabbits, CARS...
If it will run away from her, she'll chase it. She's never agressive with the cows though because she's only in it for the race! The minute they all get in the gate or back with the group and slow down, she's trotting along looking for the next game.

Whip break her. If you have a bullwhip or a signal-whip that you can pop like a gun shot at least you can get her attention, and she doesn't have to wear the collar all the time. The thing I like about the catahoulas is how easy handling they are. The whip will get their attention every time. The other benefit is if she get's chasin' the neighbours cattle and he shoots at her it will sound like a whip and she'll bugger off and go home. The shock collars are good when we're working more than one and need to be specific who we are correcting, the whip is great if they all decide to ignore me for a few minutes. I try to keep a few treats in my pocket too.... that way they're usually happy to come back to me. ;-)

Latest posts