Pestivirus disease - New to cattle and forum

Help Support CattleToday:

Oblak

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to this forum and to cattle and really need some help. 10 months ago I purchased 6 charolis cows from a big breeder to begin my own. My father has always had cattle but is only a hobby farmer. About 4 months ago 1 cow had to be put down due to her being diagnosed with mucosol disease (sp?) pestivirus. I spoke to the breeder and we arrange that payment was not required for the cow as the disease was by birth. Now I have been diagnosed with another cow positive to pestivirus. In three weeks I will test the rest of my cows for this virus and if they all have it they will need to be put down. Has anybody else had to deal with this situation?. I'm devastated.... Not only have I grown to love these cows so much, they are my pets they follow me everywhere and are more like my puppies then cows. I have grain fed them for almost 1 year and the loss will be significant. Can anybody help me please

Unless I'm mistaken, pestivirus is known in North America as BVD. Very common, VACCINATE for it!! You can also test after vaccination for antibodies--those who don't respond are persistant carriers and should be culled. If she went and showed mucosal disease signs, she was INFECTED BEFORE BIRTH AND THE BREEDER IS FULLY RESPONSIBLE. (yes, I was shouting) Depending on the region you live in, there are different strains of the virus, so be sure to vaccinate with a cytopathic and non-cytopathic virus.

PM me if you have more questions!
V

Vicky the vet":37r9bmte said:
Unless I'm mistaken, pestivirus is known in North America as BVD. Very common, VACCINATE for it!! You can also test after vaccination for antibodies--those who don't respond are persistant carriers and should be culled. If she went and showed mucosal disease signs, she was INFECTED BEFORE BIRTH AND THE BREEDER IS FULLY RESPONSIBLE. (yes, I was shouting) Depending on the region you live in, there are different strains of the virus, so be sure to vaccinate with a cytopathic and non-cytopathic virus.

PM me if you have more questions!
V

Vicky the vet, I always look forward to your posts! Thank you for your
info...always appreciated by everyone.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :!:

Latest posts