Peruvian Paso Mare In Gait

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here's photo of my Peruvian Paso 10 yr old mare and her 4 month old filly in full Peruvian Tack in her Paso Llano gait:

BillRidingLigeiaWChiquita12.jpg

Bill[/img]

That filly looks smooth as mama! You gotta love that natural talent! Wish I could see the tack better. Could you describe it for us? Saddle looks deep and what's around her back end? What type of bit do you ride her in and is it pretty standard to your breed? It looks like you ride with some collection and I am wondering what does a peruvian do on a loose or flopping rein? Sorry for all my questions, but it's all so interesting!

cowgal":1qvwxr53 said:
That filly looks smooth as mama! You gotta love that natural talent! Wish I could see the tack better. Could you describe it for us? Saddle looks deep and what's around her back end? What type of bit do you ride her in and is it pretty standard to your breed? It looks like you ride with some collection and I am wondering what does a peruvian do on a loose or flopping rein? Sorry for all my questions, but it's all so interesting!

The tack around her back end is a "crupper" (loop in which her tail is put through) which has an oval shaped leather piece covering the tail head. The leather "Traces" on the sides below belly are "retrancas" which historically used to deflect brush and limbs on the trail.

If the PP is on a loose rein (or by self w/o tack) it will go naturally into the gait as well as do other freestyle gaits, their pleasure. Bit is a short shank curb bit.

Saddle has no horn and has a high back. Stirrups are carved out of solid block of wood and are attached after saddle is on. As such, impossible to get a foot caught in a stirrup--only hole is on back (foot) entry side.

The pureblood PP horses have a 100% inherited natural gait evidenced minutes/hours after birth. Collection is "taught" a little (meshing rider with horse) by holding back their speed--they want to "go" (but not run away). All based on their lineage of the Spanish horses and their natural "fire", while being very trainable and manageable.

Bill

Nope! They seem at home with all that gear.

My biggest pet peeve with the Peruvian Tack is that "Some Assembly Required." Lol. Bridle, then wool pad, then leather Corona, then slide saddle on part way from rear, lift up tail, thread tail thru crupper, finish sliding saddle in position, connect cinch & tighten, put padded Pelon over saddle, attach stirrups, attach bit, tie reins to strings on front of saddle, longe horse a little, re-tighten cinch, get on horse, rock saddle a little.

Rest a couple of minutes.

Turn horse and move out.

Well, color me lazy, but I think I would be riding non-traditional, or bareback! Do you always ride them in that tack, or just when it's time to look good in pictures or parades?

fellersbarnoneranch":3ibvkv93 said:
Well, color me lazy, but I think I would be riding non-traditional, or bareback! Do you always ride them in that tack, or just when it's time to look good in pictures or parades?

Always ride in that tack (white clothes only for the PR photo ops or for public appearances).

sidney411":2c7vkt6a said:
Bill
In the second picture: What is the think hanging down from the belly of the horse?

That was a 4 or 5' piece of leather off the reins--to swat the rear of horse with if it doesn't go...lol. HOWEVER, I've not had any need to use it (merely ornamental)--no problem getting a Peruvian under saddle to "Go" (except one being started--which I/we don't do ourselves).

fellersbarnoneranch":3pxa3jck said:

The PP has a short back. Traditional western saddles don't fit their backs very well. I don't ride bareback--not that good rider by any means. I'll let the "good" riders and the Lyons, Parelli, and the other followers do all that, including riding backwards on a horse or lying down on them...lol.

P.S.: In 1998 I had neurosurgery for a brain tumor which destroyed all of my inner ear components in my right ear...balance has been precarious since then. Sudden up/down movements or fast head turns can cause serious vertigo for a few seconds.

Is there a photo expert on this board that can lighten the pics a bit - would love a better view.

Thnx

Bez

Looks like dallying a rope to that thing could get a man and horse both in a hellatious bind.

Do you ride any thick trails in that set up, or mainly out in the open? I know what you mean about fiting a western saddle on a gaited horse--walkers have a short back as well and if it doesn't have a round skirt or hasn't been designed for a gaited horse (square skirt) likely it does not fit! If those leather straps went under the belly, it looks like a problem waiting, but it looks like they go from the saddle around the back end. Would they break away easily if caught on something? Did you say PP's generally go barefoot? Do you have a stud? Or a picture of the one you use?

fellersbarnoneranch":we253l7q said:
Do you ride any thick trails in that set up, or mainly out in the open? I know what you mean about fiting a western saddle on a gaited horse--walkers have a short back as well and if it doesn't have a round skirt or hasn't been designed for a gaited horse (square skirt) likely it does not fit! If those leather straps went under the belly, it looks like a problem waiting, but it looks like they go from the saddle around the back end. Would they break away easily if caught on something? Did you say PP's generally go barefoot? Do you have a stud? Or a picture of the one you use?

The leather straps on the side of the horse drop down from the saddle and they loop around horse's back end...No they would not break away easily as they are about 1" wide and 3/16" or so thick. I haven't done any trail riding myself since I am a novice rider and too difficult to get away from our operation for too long...just trying to hone my riding skills on our property so I can feel "mostly" in control of my mare.

About only time a PP is shoed is for a rare corrective problem. Also, if they are ridden in rough, rocky terrain a lot. They have a hard hoof.

I do not have a PP stud...they quality ones are extremely expensive. My 2 yr old chestnut colt was a breeding by "RTP Oberon" from my mare's seller... I have a photo but haven't asked for permission to post publicly--could e-mail it to you though. Oberon was a bay. My mare is a bay.

My mare's current bay filly was sired by *LEA Conquistador from the ranch "La Estancia Alegre" in New Mexico. I have photo of him, however not asked for permission to post public--could e-mail you a photo though. Conquistador is black.

The previous owner of my PP mare had bred her to a TOP stallion (she owns their offspring), "LV Sol Brillante" who I think at present has a $5,000 stud fee, one of the highest in the Peruvian circuit...this colt is now a junior champion breeding stallion at their ranch.

Bez":z3oc6pke said:
Is there a photo expert on this board that can lighten the pics a bit - would love a better view.

Would be nice, but we don't have enough detail in these pix. You need the sun at the back of the photographer to get good detail in any shot. (Or use a flash.) On the mare and foal shot the sun is on the other side of the pair, and in the "Tack shot" the horse's head is turned enough to put a big shadow on most of that side of the horse.

diana":xg28c7xb said:
Bez":xg28c7xb said:

Would be nice, but we don't have enough detail in these pix. You need the sun at the back of the photographer to get good detail in any shot. (Or use a flash.) On the mare and foal shot the sun is on the other side of the pair, and in the "Tack shot" the horse's head is turned enough to put a big shadow on most of that side of the horse.

Understand... These photos were taken (about 160 of them) in all phases of riding her as well as ones of and with the filly. Were trying to depict the movements of the horse, etc. Some were shot with zoom on digital camera.

Latest posts