Personal Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

newrancher

Reaction score
Ok, the ammo thread got me thinking [see the smoke]. Anyway,due to this economy and no local driving jobs I'll soon be heading back out OTR. If you had your choice between a star pd model .45 or s@w 459 in 9mm whichwould you carry? I'm leaning towards the 9mm even though I dearly love the .45 and it is more concealable.What are your thoughts?

If you're going to carry it moslty on your body, whichever is easiest to conceal. If you're going to spend the majority of your time in the cab, I would go with 45

dun":3diutpqi said:
If you're going to carry it moslty on your body, whichever is easiest to conceal. If you're going to spend the majority of your time in the cab, I would go with 45
I agree----Nothing like busting a cap off on a 45 !!! 959 is also a great auto---I've had one for years!

talldog":g7578371 said:
dun":g7578371 said:
I agree----Nothing like busting a cap off on a 45 !!! 959 is also a great auto---I've had one for years!

959 simply because it is S&W. I have heard alot of bad things from star owners that they are crap.

My personal preference is still a .357 wheelgun

I'll probably take the 45, its my normal carry gun, slim and compact enough to fit in a pocket. I would prefer a 357 wheelgun, but the ones I have, have 6in barrels. The other thread got me to thinking about more ammo capacity and how much more of the 9mm I could carry on my person if needed in a shtf situation. The smith is of course a better quality gun and also in very good shape,though not as concealable, which is another reason to leave it at home. Thanks for the input guys.

newrancher":yr7clnyb said:
I'll probably take the 45, its my normal carry gun, slim and compact enough to fit in a pocket. I would prefer a 357 wheelgun, but the ones I have, have 6in barrels. The other thread got me to thinking about more ammo capacity and how much more of the 9mm I could carry on my person if needed in a shtf situation. The smith is of course a better quality gun and also in very good shape,though not as concealable, which is another reason to leave it at home. Thanks for the input guys.

Here it doesnt matter how big the gun is with our tn handgun carry permit we can open carry it in a holster. I do open carry mine sometimes.

newrancher":3q8b87ix said:
S&W has a M60 snubby in 357. Bob the hammer and get a trigger job and you have somethign that is really easy to conceal.

dun":3cnjffl9 said:
My personal preference is still a .357 wheelgun

Yep me too...I guess the years of packing a wheelgun before the autos became popular--I never got that accustomed to an auto...My preference is a S&W model 19 with 2 1/2 inch barrel or a model 13 with 3 inch barrel...

Still haven't got my hands on one yet--but I am going to get one of those short barreled "Judge"--shoot both 410 or 45 colt...We tried one out the other day-shooting at a sheet size target to see spread-- and with number 5 shot at about 15-20 yards it would definitely disinterest an attacker....

Normally I would say the .45, but in this case, I would tote the Smith & Wesson over the Star. Smaller cartridge, but much better quality gun.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Gonna get the S&W out today and shoot a little bit, the wife needs to shoot her 357 also, before I make my mind up. With the way things are nowadays its really scary,1. to leave her alone and 2. to possibly be somewhere during a disaster or unrest and cutoff from friends and family.

Wife and I bought matching S&W 642's this spring. They're easy to conceal and we both really like them, plus they weigh next to nothing.

An S&W 357 over either of those two for sure. If you really want an auto, H&K in a 40 caliber, fit and quality are second to none. An auto that jams is useless, unless you can throw it really really hard.

Concealment is key. My wife has a snub nosed S$W 357, and I carry a Colt 45 Commander. For Farm use, I have a Colt 357 with a 4 inch barrel.

Just a question ,,but how many of you have seen a head blown apart from a bullet..
Especially your own ..

My wife has a Taurus Judge 410/45...really likes it. It's ok, but for me it kicks too much (wheel gun). I prefer a SA since the cycling takes a lot of the kick out, plus, you have more firepower.

When I carry, I use a Baretta 96 (.40)...without too much effort, I can knock off 1 round per second...or 3 in 2 seconds

IMO, the "best" SA's are:

Para Ordnance, Sig Sauer, Baretta, H&K, Glock, etc. Very reliable pieces. For personal protection you want something very good... [6 in a wheel is good...10+1 in a clip is better...lol].

I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a .380 for personal protection. Better still, a 9mm, .40, or .45 You want "stopping power"...not "tickling event"...lol.

For those toters that use a .22, .25, or .32...well, you better be a crack shot and hit a serious vital organ [e.g., brain or heart] with the first shot...want to stop the Pit Bull...NOW!

I have to say. other then in wartime. Here in the USA I don't feel a need to pack. Just don't see the need to worry.
SO. tell me? What are Y'all afraid of?? :???:
I mean I travel. stay at at rest areas, truck stops approaches, whatever. what am I missing? What :shock: :shock: do you have guns in you sleeping bag WHAT??

hillsdown":2u4ozn1u said:
Just a question ,,but how many of you have seen a head blown apart from a bullet..
Especially your own ..

I've seen quiet a few actually, body shots and limb shots too. What did you want to know?

mnmtranching":1z79xoe0 said:
I have to say. other then in wartime. Here in the USA I don't feel a need to pack. Just don't see the need to worry.
I mean I travel. stay at at rest areas, truck stops approaches, whatever. what am I missing? What :shock: :shock: do you have guns in you sleeping bag WHAT??

I could be wrong, but I am guessing all those people that were beaten to death, stabbed to death, shot to death, and just plain ole mutilated by man and beast, wish they would have had a gun. I could be wrong though. My gun has stopped a tragedy on more than one occasion. Guns save lives! :nod:

mnmtranching":1tbjhajc said:
You are missing alot, you might ask Reginald Denny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts