tent-cat.jpg

Persimmon tree. Notice the bag worm nest i nthe top

p-tree.jpg

Persimmon fruit
p-fruit.jpg

Persimmon fruit cluster
p-cluster.jpg

dun

those are similar to what we call webworms........more like a web than a bag.

Beefy":266jer23 said:
yep, webworms. they are really bad in Pecan Trees too.

that's exactly where we see them the most, too.

Just goes to show the diversity of the US, throw in the other countrys and you really have a mix.

dun

I dug around and found some pictures of the mature male that they refer to as a moth. To me it just looks like nasty big black fly

dun

Thanks Dun. How big are the seeds? Are they edible?

Here's a link to our variety of tent caterpillars. They will strip whole stands of poplars and other deciduous trees in the summer. When they migrate over roads, the whole road way will be black with them, and distastefull as it seems, if you're going slow enough you can hear them "pop" as you drive over them. Bleah. :shock:

http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/fetch21/FRST ... /tent.html

Take care.

They are about the size of a large butter bean and hard like an apple seed.

Ummm...but what on earth is a butter bean? You folks sure have some very interesting plants. Is the persimmon fruit itself hard shelled like a nut or soft skinned like an apple?

Take care.

cows really like persimmons. mine will stand under a tree and wait for them to fall. ..

CattleAnnie, did you know there are NO pictures of butterbeans on the internet?

Beefy":oq5gpygd said:

i did find this although i'm not sure if it's true:

Q. I have a recipe for butter beans but I am from Canada and haven't been able to find them. Is there another name for them?

A. There are other names for just about everything, and in this case, butter beans is the other name for lima beans. They can also be called calico beans or Madagascar beans. We know just enough Canadian to suspect that they are called lima beans everywhere other than Quebec

txag":25herv0c said:
Beefy":25herv0c said:

i did find this although i'm not sure if it's true:

Q. I have a recipe for butter beans but I am from Canada and haven't been able to find them. Is there another name for them?

A. There are other names for just about everything, and in this case, butter beans is the other name for lima beans. They can also be called calico beans or Madagascar beans. We know just enough Canadian to suspect that they are called lima beans everywhere other than Quebec

Kinda like yams and mushmelon.

Craig-TX

Latest posts