Permanent Pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
What Would You Plant In Place Where You Need The Most Forage Yield Possible And Want It To Grow Back Fast To 4-6 Inches After Cattle Grazing On It

If you can irrigate it, grazinf type of alfalfa. If you can;t irrigate your pretty much whistling in the wind to have both a fast growing pasture and a permanent pasture.

dun

That canal is only going to go so far ground waterwise. Are you able to pump out of the canal and water? Irrigation equipment is pretty expensive.

Is it a local irrigation district canal or the frant-kern type of canal? Pump irrigating is pretty steep for both the water and the start up costs. If it's a local irrigation district canal, are you set up to flood irrigate. Prices are a lot lower but having the pasture set up to properly use the flood irrigation can be tricky at times.

dun

I know a guy in Bakersfield, CA that used brassicas in a rotation with is cotton production and was very happy with his cattles weight gain.

western":1ef6jf8n said:
I know a guy in Bakersfield, CA that used brassicas in a rotation with is cotton production and was very happy with his cattles weight gain.

I agree that there are a number of things that can be used, but not for permanent pasture. To me, if you have to reseed it, it isn;t permanent.

dun

The Irrigations Districk Runs It We Already Have Some Smaller Pumps That Get The Job Done We Have A 800 Gallon Tank That We Pump Into To Store Then Pump It Out When We Need It

perda04":1k8pc47r said:
To put down 1" of water you will need 27154 gallons / acre. 800 may be a bit short.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/formulas.htm

I was talking about we have an 800 gallon tank that houses water so we pump water from the canal into the tank from the tank into the pastures not that all we can water is 800 gallons an ac

I believe Kikuyu grass is available in California, it is 'sprigged' and so is permanent and not need re-seeding, does well as a white clover/grass mix, will do well irrigated or dryland, and can be grazed dry during winter die off. I wanted to grow Kikuyu here, but it is not allowed in N Carolina.

vs_cattle":3h047ajs said:
perda04":3h047ajs said:
To put down 1" of water you will need 27154 gallons / acre. 800 may be a bit short.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/formulas.htm

I was talking about we have an 800 gallon tank that houses water so we pump water from the canal into the tank from the tank into the pastures not that all we can water is 800 gallons an ac

Why have the tank at all? In other words what advantage is to to pump into the tank and then irrigate?

Latest posts