Perimeter fence

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
I'm looking to create a 4 acre dry lot and am debating the perimeter fence. I normally do 5 wrie hi tensile with the top 4 hot for my other pastures. This is the first lot I'm building to background load lots of feeders in. I visited a neighbor that feeds feeder calves and he has some woven wire and some 8 wire hi tensile none hot. Anyone else use and 8 wire hi tensile as a perimeter fence.

I'm just starting to build a half acre receiving pen to keep newly received calves in for a week or two. My plan is to use wire panels with a board on top and one a couple feet off the ground. I'd be curious if others think a woven wire or high tensile fence would be sufficient.

I wouldn't want high tensile as a weaning/receiving lot. Ours is woven wire currently, and when it comes time to rebuild it I'm going to look into continuous pipe fencing. I would also consider using woven wire again, but placing it on the outside of the posts and using a couple hot wires of high tensile on the inside.

I made about 1/2 my lot with woven wire backed by barbed wire - had to replace every bit of it. If you're receiving calves I would go with wire panel with a 2x8 along the top. The old saying that a cow won't try to jump anything he can't see over is not true.

Back in the day before I walked with a limp I used 12' x 5' cattle panels set on 6' centers with rubber elevator flights for insulators and hot wired
the whole fence. Hung the panels upside down as it seemed to work better to prevent them from trying to go over the top. Used underground
wire at the gates. A lot of what I used was what I had on hand. I think the biggest problem was posts rotting and 'forgetting' the fence was hot.
Had it to do again I might look at guard rail .......maybe

I know a guy who would take in a couple hundred fresh weaned range calves. He had a tall solid board corral that was about 100 by 100. He would run a hot wire about 4 feet inside one side. It was hooked to a 16 joule charger. On day two he turned them into a larger pen that had several strands of hot wire on that same charger. Never had a problem with them. They couldn't get out of that first pen and they certainly got hot wire educated.

I use stay tuff and it works well.
I have had a really bad experience with stay tuff previously, and just don't like woven wire because of the difficulty of repairs, about a 1/3 of this fence will be in trees

I'm looking to create a 4 acre dry lot and am debating the perimeter fence. I normally do 5 wrie hi tensile with the top 4 hot for my other pastures. This is the first lot I'm building to background load lots of feeders in. I visited a neighbor that feeds feeder calves and he has some woven wire and some 8 wire hi tensile none hot. Anyone else use and 8 wire hi tensile as a perimeter fence.
I do plan to build a small recieving lot to put the calves in a few days after purchase, this perimeter fence is for their remaining time at the farm. Any recommendations on size of the recieving lot, about 20 had at a time.

Thanks for the responses so far.

There is a farmer feedlot up here that uses a single hot wire for fence, and feeds in bunks. I think the key would be to train them well before they go into a single wire lot.

I have back grounded calves in a temporary single hot wire lot, and fed under the hot wire. You will get the odd calf that jumps the wire for less feeding competition, and then jumps back into the lot after the feed is gone. Two wires for the feeding side fixed that.

one thing to keep in mind when building this deal for a feedlot is you won't be feeding calves you raised. I've helped ship yearlings that are nuttier than a fruitcake. Most on this board talk about culling on disposition, well someone is buying those crazy cows. I'd build something substantial and stay away from hot wires to keep them in.

Latest posts