Percentages

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I don't do percentages well. Maybe someone can help me out.

We've got a couple of Midland heifers (half sisters) out of Dateline cows (half sisters) who are out of Right Time cows (again half sisters). We're going to breed both those heifers to New Design 036. What percentage will be 036 calves be related to each other?

My head hurts. Probably wrong but wouldn't it be reduced by 1/2 with each generation? So they are half sisters of Midland(50%), 25% of Dateline, and 12.5% of Right Time.

Jogeephus":1cwku635 said:
My head hurts. Probably wrong but wouldn't it be reduced by 1/2 with each generation? So they are half sisters of Midland(50%), 25% of Dateline, and 12.5% of Right Time.

But then we add the 50% for 036. Doesn't that put them over 100% and they can never be full sibs......

That is 2 confusing for me. But at least the tree sounds like it has branches on it. If you draw out the tree I could tell you what % they are.

What I was figuring were the base percentages - I think, my head still hurts. But what I think I'm saying is that you would take these base %'s and apply them to the 50% of the ma since the calves will be half their dad.

Jogeephus":aq5al0qw said:
So they are half sisters of Midland(50%), 25% of Dateline, and 12.5% of Right Time.

So they will end up being .5x50 or 25% midland, .25 x 50 or 12.5% dateline and then 6.25% right time. But this doesn't add up to 50% - misses it by 6%. My head still hurts.

I think someone from Tenn could answer this question.

Wore ya at Crowder? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cal

Well, I thought it would be fun to figure it out, so I stared at Frankie's original post for awhile and, yes, my head started to hurt, too. Not to be denied, I did a little googling and came up with this:

http://www.highflyer.supanet.com/coefficient.htm

After about three minutes of this my head REALLY started to hurt. So I gave up and took a nap. Good luck, Frankie. :D

I need to get my wife involved in this. She is from a big family. When I go to her family reunions it makes me feel all wobbly headed like this. Two of her uncles married sisters. Each had six children. Each child has since had children. Talk about confusing. It was our turn to host reunion. 120 head in our house! I was a wreck. Never again.

I'm so confused now that I don't even think I understand the question. Maybe I never did.

Jogeephus":2gl926k4 said:
I need to get my wife involved in this. She is from a big family. When I go to her family reunions it makes me feel all wobbly headed like this. Two of her uncles married sisters. Each had six children. Each child has since had children. Talk about confusing. It was our turn to host reunion. 120 head in our house! I was a wreck. Never again.

I'm so confused now that I don't even think I understand the question. Maybe I never did.
I know what ya mean Jo My ex wifes family was like that on her dads side
her granpa and his sister married a brother and sister then her uncle and his cousin married sisters so it was all confusing
then on her moms side they were just strait inbred so that actually made things simpler

KMacGinley":2oogdjgb said:
Use the inbreeding calculator on the AAA website.

Thank you. The Inbreeding Calculator isn't any help, but they also have a Relationship Coefficient calculator at that site. Using that, the Midland heifers are only 35.82% related. That was a surprise; I had expected a higher percentage. But it uses registration numbers, so I didn't see any way to figure a projected relationship percentage between the two 036 calves (assuming we get both of them bred to him).

I apologize to everyone for giving them a headache. :( But thank them for their efforts. :D

Frankie":uwegg0i4 said:
KMacGinley":uwegg0i4 said:

Thank you. The Inbreeding Calculator isn't any help, but they also have a Relationship Coefficient calculator at that site. Using that, the Midland heifers are only 35.82% related. That was a surprise; I had expected a higher percentage. But it uses registration numbers, so I didn't see any way to figure a projected relationship percentage between the two 036 calves (assuming we get both of them bred to him).

I apologize to everyone for giving them a headache. :( But thank them for their efforts. :D
That doesn't make any sense. They are half sisters right? So they must be at least 50% just on the Midland side? :???:

*Cowgirl*":yw5skdvo said:
Frankie":yw5skdvo said:
KMacGinley":yw5skdvo said:

That doesn't make any sense. They are half sisters right? So they must be at least 50% just on the Midland side? :???:

You're right. :oops: What that calculator shows is that they have 35.82% of the same genes. It doesn't help at all in the blood relationship. I plugged in registration numbers for a pair of full siblings and got 52% because they have some linebreeding in their background.

I think you're probably right. Can you, please, show us how you came up with the 93.75?

I made an improzised pedigree chart and kind of reasoned it out.....I knew the calves had to be 50% related because of their sire, so all I had to do was figure out how closely related their dams were.....I knew the dams were 50% because of their sire, so I just had to figure out their mothers, and so on and so forth.....I finally determined that the midland cows were 87.5% therefore the claves would have to be 93.75 *by my reasoning, which could be flawed*

sorry it took awhile, I've been quite busy the last few days...

Jogeephus":iltwbl4f said:
Two of her uncles married sisters. Each had six children. Each child has since had children.
I don't mean to sound rude, but...
That almost just does not sound natural to me. :eek:
Were any undesirable recessive genetic traits uncovered? :roll:

Latest posts