per something in Silvers airplane thread - what folklore "signs" of rain do you know?

Help Support CattleToday:

I once raised tobacco with my Mom's brother who had a reputation as one of the best farmers around.
To him signs in the wind and the flowering of various weeds spoke a language.
I remember clearly when beeweed, a type of wild white aster, would turn the hillsides white. He said it was talking to us telling us we better get the tobacco cut and in the barn.

My father was great with a lot of things, but if we were outside and saw clouds off in the distance, and he said it wasn't going to bring us rain, I knew to get under a roof pretty quick.

Native American tribes were of course in touch with nature and aware of all the animal signs, singing frogs as the start of spring, squirrels extra busy storing food a long cold winter coming. And all of the wind and weather signs.

Sometimes I wonder if kids who grew up in cities know the difference between thin dry wispy clouds and storm clouds.
They sure don't know North from South and can only take left or right directions.

Last edited:
Native American tribes were of course in touch with nature and aware of all the animal signs, singing frogs as the start of spring, squirrels extra busy storing food a long cold winter coming. And all of the wind and weather signs.
Sometimes I wonder if kids who grew up in cities know the difference between thin dry wispy clouds and storm clouds. They sure don't know North from South and can only take left or right directions.
Can they Butch? I think a lot of them have trouble with the left and right.

Ken

While I still want to believe in signs to an extent:
This year I planted half my potato patch early, but did not plant it all because the moon sign was wrong and it was an infertile sign.
Planted the other half three weeks later when moon sign was right and on a fertile sign day.
The early planting yielded roughly roughly 3 times more potatoes. ???????
From now on I am likely to plant when the ground and weather are right and worry less about the sign.

Latest posts