Pepto for scours

Help Support CattleToday:

redluv

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put pepto in a syringe and given it to a calf with scours? Dad started doing this with ours a few years ago. If the calf isn't dehydrated, we give them a syringe full in the mouth, obviously, and then give them some electrolytes. It seems to work as long as they haven't had scours for too long.

I had a calf that the vet said had a stomach ulcer. He said to give 24cc twice a day for a couple weeks, seemed to work.

I have used it some. My dad used it all the time. Like you said, it works ok if the scours aren't too bad. Otherwise, you better use the more accepted treatments. Scours are too serious to take chances with. Ron

We used to mix it the bottle with the replacer for a ocuple of feedings and it seemed to help.

Just off hand my first question would be how do you ensure the meds get to the right place (right stomach) using the method described?

My second question would be how do you know this med does not affect the natural probios for the calf? Is there any test data?

It is possible there is no negative consequences to using this but I would not take that chance. A bovine digestive system works different than a human's.

Scours meds are cheap enough as is. Probably cheaper than pepto. The meds designed for bovines work great and there is plenty of test results to ensure no negative side affects. Grafted calves and bottle calves do fine on the meds we purchase. I have no need to take a chance with something different that I have no certainty with.

Probably would be best to ask a vet.

We've used pepto for calves with belly aches and slight bloating on our vets advice. Never used it for ones with scours, those we give 'real' medicine and electrolytes.

backhoeboogie":1923s4gc said:
Just off hand my first question would be how do you ensure the meds get to the right place (right stomach) using the method described?

My second question would be how do you know this med does not affect the natural probios for the calf? Is there any test data?

It is possible there is no negative consequences to using this but I would not take that chance. A bovine digestive system works different than a human's.

Scours meds are cheap enough as is. Probably cheaper than pepto. The meds designed for bovines work great and there is plenty of test results to ensure no negative side affects. Grafted calves and bottle calves do fine on the meds we purchase. I have no need to take a chance with something different that I have no certainty with.

Probably would be best to ask a vet.
1. We open the mouth and put the syringe to the back of the mouth and then squirt slowly, same with electrolytes.

2. I've talked to several of the ruminant nutrition professors here at school. They said it doesn't affect them in any way, because the pepto is so mild. Our vet also said it is fine.

I should have mentioned that we use this to slow down the scours while the medicine gets a chance to work.

I have used it a couple of times with no ill effects. Just gave some replacer with the electrolytes after.

Hey, All pepto does is lines the stomach, it doesnt kill the bacteria it just keeps the stomach from being irrated.
Chad