People with signs,etc

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
The other week we were grocery shopping, stopped to eat, we were looking out the window saw this guy with a 10 foot wooden cross he made with wheels on the bottom, pulling it along the street, stopping cars asking for handouts. One car did a U turn just to avoid, I have to admit, I felt embarrassed for him, either he was nuts in the head, toting that thing around or smart for playing on peoples sympathies, last place I saw him was heading to the walmart parking lot..

How do you all feel about people who sit on the side of the intersections with signs will work for food, or like this guy pulling a wooden cross? Do you stop and donate or drive on by? Do you wonder how they got like that, or just assume they are lazy losers?

GMN

If you can sit at the exit of Wally-World all day in that hot sun, you can work. Some of those people make some serious coin doing that.

I don't donate to any of them. Period.

If I have food, I offer it to them. I don't see a lot of this because it's so rural where I live, but when I'm traveling we've usually got something to eat in the car. I can stand to miss a snack, for sure, so if they want my food, they are welcome to it.
As for people who wear their religious beliefs as a guilt trip, your actions toward others tell people more than any T-shirt, bumper sticker, etc. If a person with religious convictions is in trouble, why would their congregation not help them?

grannysoo":fyxhbz6h said:
If you can sit at the exit of Wally-World all day in that hot sun, you can work. Some of those people make some serious coin doing that.

I don't donate to any of them. Period.
that and roll a ten foot cross around, gotta be alot like work.

I wouldn't give anyone money. maybe food or a drink of water if they looked like they needed it. But I figure if they have time to sit around they could be using that time to look for a job or find a place to get help.

There was a guy who sat at the exit ramp of I-75 with his dog. He had a sign that said, Will Work For Food. If you told him to hop in you had some work to do he would decline the offer. I later learned that he lived in the Holiday Inn and would sit at the bar at night sucking back cold ones. Couple of friends of mine talked to him one night and he said he averaged a couple hundred bucks a day. Said the dog was the trick.

Kathy and I always give them five bucks. We figure the guy might be a retired contractor like me.
Tom.

Jogeephus":165eei2c said:
There was a guy who sat at the exit ramp of I-75 with his dog. He had a sign that said, Will Work For Food. If you told him to hop in you had some work to do he would decline the offer. I later learned that he lived in the Holiday Inn and would sit at the bar at night sucking back cold ones. Couple of friends of mine talked to him one night and he said he averaged a couple hundred bucks a day. Said the dog was the trick.
been the perfect time for you'r friends too take him outside and beat the pI$$ out of him :cowboy:

Jogeephus":1tzhriv6 said:

Jogee...if you'll pay close attention, the "starving man" looks like hel...the dog is always fat and sassy. I tried it once. A bich dog in heat came by and my dog got away from me and ran off with her. I threw down my sign, threw away my fatigue jacket, went home and shaved and went to the bar and bought my own beer. It ain't worth it. :dunce:

There used to be a guy that walked along I-20 dragging a cross like that. If he really wanted to impress me, he'd lost the wheel. I don't think that Jesus had a wheel.

I saw a guy once and his sign read: "I ain't lying, I want $ for some whiskey" I thought, "at least he is honest" :clap:

TexasBred":640ql5x2 said:
Jogeephus":640ql5x2 said:

Jogee...if you'll pay close attention, the "starving man" looks like hel...the dog is always fat and sassy. I tried it once. A bich dog in heat came by and my dog got away from me and ran off with her. I threw down my sign, threw away my fatigue jacket, went home and shaved and went to the bar and bought my own beer. It ain't worth it. :dunce:

Good story but you and all us know that you did NOT try it. What a bullshipper.

tncattle":11od9bcx said:
I saw a guy once and his sign read: "I ain't lying, I want $ for some whiskey" I thought, "at least he is honest" :clap:

I think I would give this guy some money just for being honest.

If you look close the all have cell phones. Many of them have cigarettes and other things. It sure makes you wonder about where their priorities are.

If I couldn't make a house payment, my cell phone would have already been gone. Either they are paying the cell phone bill or else they are stealing from the phone company making calls they don't intend to pay for.

Their are a variety of food banks and shelters for people who need help. If you give money to these places, it will go farther.

If they really want to be day laborers (i.e. will work for food) there are places for them with other day laborers to hire out.

Mostly I see these things are just a bunch of drama.

There's a guy down here around Waco that I've seen dragging the cross on wheels. He's a young guy.. in his early 20's I'd say. The last time I saw him he had a buddy with him. Thought it was pretty strange actually.

THere used to be a lot of panhandling in Waco, and then the city passed on ordinance that said they couldn't do it within the town limits. They'd stand at the corner of the busiest roads in town, and I suspect it was getting to be a traffic issue.

I've never donated... I don't have any sympathy for anyone much anymore. So much of the time it's like everyone has mentione previously.. just a way to make a "quick buck". Frankly I'm tired of giving.

alacattleman":1dmmkvon said:
Jogeephus":1dmmkvon said:
been the perfect time for you'r friends too take him outside and beat the pI$$ out of him :cowboy:
I was sorta thinking the same thing. :x

TheBullLady":2bvcjsf3 said:
There's a guy down here around Waco that I've seen dragging the cross on wheels. He's a young guy.. in his early 20's I'd say. The last time I saw him he had a buddy with him. Thought it was pretty strange actually.

THere used to be a lot of panhandling in Waco, and then the city passed on ordinance that said they couldn't do it within the town limits. They'd stand at the corner of the busiest roads in town, and I suspect it was getting to be a traffic issue.

I've never donated... I don't have any sympathy for anyone much anymore. So much of the time it's like everyone has mentione previously.. just a way to make a "quick buck". Frankly I'm tired of giving.

Do you remember the trannie that used to stand on the side of I35 underneath the chicken place sign? I don't know how many time he got arrested. I don't think he wanted money for food... Is he/she still there? I used to see him/her all the time. One of Steve's coworkers raised a stink about it.

Years ago in Lexington, Ky a reporter or someone followed one panhandler from the busy intersection corner. They went into the mall parking lot, guy walks up to a nice BMW or Mercedes pulls his old rag clothes off and is dress in nice clothes underneath them.

I know people who have given people food that have the will work for food signs to see it thrown away. I think they are hoping for cash. A coworker one Sunday was coming out of Shoneys and a family was there begging for money to buy food, he offered for them to go in Shoneys and order and he would pay for it. He said you would have thought I insulted them.

Too many scammers out there that realy hurt those in true need.

tom4018":3i0crhpd said:
Too many scammers out there that realy hurt those in true need.

That's the bad thing right there. It makes it hard to figure out if you are giving the person a snake or a loaf of bread.

Jogeephus":3m7xoqlv said:

Yup. The two regulars that I see both have dogs. They also have an umbrella to keep the sun off, plenty of smokes, a backpack, and a cooler. Perhaps that is their day job.

Latest posts