People are funny...

Help Support CattleToday:

Crackerplease

Reaction score
I got tricked into fixin a goat for a fundraiser at Church. The goat had reservations about foreign missions at first, but like most missionaries, once he took that first step, he was fully committed. The thing I don't understand is folks that say "I ate goat once and it was good until I found out what it was. Then I threw up." I had several people say stuff like that. Most folks that tried it, liked it.

That's too bad that people feel they have to make editorial comments at public place, a fundraiser no less. What ever happened to politely saying no thank you and leave it at that. I am sure everyone that tried it with an open mind enjoyed it and you deserve credit for fixing it.

I have cooked goat a few times for husband. I like goat's milk, but not goat meat, I just don't like the flavor. Husband likes it alot. Likes it barbecued and in stew.

Very nice of you to do that for a fundraiser. I'm with Jalopy, if folks didn't want any, a simple "no thank you" would have been appropriate.

Katherine

Katherine, what age were you killing them?

I personally like the gamier flavour, but for our customers who dont want anything near strong meat, we kill wethers between 4 and 8 months, between 12 and 16 kg carcase weight, no permanent teeth, must be castrated. There is not much of a taste difference between goat at this age, and young lamb or beef, but just a touch sweeter and a slightly different texture.

This guy was about 18mos old, castrated, and fat as a butterball.No gamy taste at all. At least I don't think so..... we eat so much game I think it all tastes good. I'm gonna do a young goat this summer.. Cabrito we call it.

Not had Goat, is it like lamb or mutton? as I know a lot of people call lamb - goat. Wouldn't mind trying it, if it was on offer, can't get it here, as far as I know not seen it about.

Cabrito is suckling goat, like veal, we call it capretto.

The young goat like I mentioned is what our main market here is.

When I do a home kill we grow them out to 18 months. I like them at that stage because they have a bit more flavour to them, and also just a much bigger and better carcase.

But some people dont like that flavour, find it too strong and gamey, they say that taste isnt in the younger ones.

I'm like you ... I like game!

You will find the capretto very different to the 18 mo wether, if you do a real suckling one. We dont do capretto often but when we do ... YUM!

chrisy":2ug7s7yy said:
Not had Goat, is it like lamb or mutton? as I know a lot of people call lamb - goat. Wouldn't mind trying it, if it was on offer, can't get it here, as far as I know not seen it about.

Chrisy, when you do them at the smaller weight, they taste much like lamb but more with the texture of beef. At the larger weight and age, they develop a stronger taste, much like hogget or mutton, but with its own distinct flavour. Goat doesnt have that characteristic lamb 'smell' when cooking (and taste) which some people find offensive.

Capretto is much like veal - very tender and sweet. If there are any dairy goat farms around you, you might be able to get some capretto, if they raise their buck kids for meat.

Latest posts