Penicillin dose and where to inject it

Help Support CattleToday:

countryboy

Reaction score
My 900lbs show steer got an infection for the the wooden fence he rubbed up against and i need to know how many cc's are recommended for his weight and where i am to inject it. Thanks, Calar

My bottle of Dura-Pen says 2cc per 150 lbs. given Sub-Q. In the neck in front of shoulder, 6-8 ins. down from top of neck. I use size 16 needle 3/4 in long.

Depends what type of penicillin you are using. One type is the short acting, needs to be repeated in 24 hours. The other type is longer lasting and is 2mL/150lbs, repeated in 48 hours. Can't remember the exact dose on the short-acting, but the bottle should say. Any type of penicillin should be given SC to be safe; if it's given IM and you accidently nick a vein, there can be a violent reaction from the animal.

We had a 1000 lbs heifer treated by a vet. She told us that the dosage on all penicllin bottles is way to low. According to the bottle, we need to use 11cc. However, she told us to inject 40 cc. She also told us that we needed to inject everyday because the other just doesn't work as well. In regard to the treatment, our local vet didn't know what to do and referred clinic. The higher dose of penicillin seemed to do the trick. I hope the infection clears up quickly.

Latest posts