Pending Grass Fed Standards

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the designation "Grass Fed" prohibits cattle eating any "seed" cereal grains and grain bi-products. If wheat, oats, etc., grazing is NOT in boot stage with seed heads formed, then it is acceptable. There is another category of "free roaming" that has more options. Native pasture grass with grass seed heads are apparently exempt, since grass seed heads are not considered to be "cereal grains".

Hope this helps some.
Bill

So if you really wanted to be super technical, if you have drilled in rye, wheat, and oats into your pastures in the fall and it goes to seed in the spring (even though 90%++ of the diet consumed by then is young growing summer forage) then those calves can not be marketed as "grassfed"?!?!?!? Around here it is not that unusual for patches of wheat or rye too persist in mixed grass pastures indefinitely, I wonder if THAT too would also count as "grain" when it goes too seed. The whole grassfed game was already dicy, trust the government to make regulations so mindboggling complicated that it is not worth the potential legal liabilities.

I don't think we need to go to changing botanical definitions of things just for the sake of making an extra dollar in marketing. This might confuse people. Botanically a grain is a caryopsis which is a type of simple dry fruit — one that is monocarpelate (formed from a single carpel) and indehiscent (not opening at maturity) and resembles an achene, except that in a caryopsis the pericarp is fused with the thin seed coat. So the definition is quite specific of what a grain is. In general terms, the caryopsis is popularly called a grain and is the fruit typical of the family Poaceae (ALL GRASSES), such as wheat, rice, bermuda, bahia and corn.

What I'd really like to know is if a cow were to eat anything other than non-seed-bearing grasses, is this truly a grass fed animal?

If you are not confused as I am yet, then I'll try again after I finish another couple of drinks. Cheers. :lol2:

Oh, one more thing. Why would you deny a cow access to a pasture during the growing season? :?:

my cust dont know the diff or even care long as i keep bringin what i have been..hope my new bull werks out

What I'd really like to know is if a cow were to eat anything other than non-seed-bearing grasses, is this truly a grass fed animal?

This was the crux of my question also, although I had not realized that seed bearing grasses could be considered small grains (except for rye). Thanks for the technical detail. It doesn't sound like the USDA has put enough thought into this new labeling standard yet and is likely to create more confusion.

dcara":36xo441g said:
It doesn't sound like the USDA has put enough thought into this new labeling standard yet and is likely to create more confusion.

And how is this any different from any other "thing" the Gov't is involved with? :roll:

Katherine

"The USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) issued a voluntary standard for a grass (forage) fed livestock marketing claim that states grass and/or forage shall be the feed source consumed for the lifetime of the ruminant animal, with the exception of milk consumed prior to weaning. The diet shall be derived solely from forage and animals cannot be fed grain or grain by-products and must have continuous access to pasture during the growing season.

The standard will be published as a Notice in the Federal Register and is titled the U.S. Standard for Livestock and Meat Marketing Claim, Grass (Forage) Fed Claim for Ruminant Livestock and the Meat Products Derived from Such Livestock."

The more I read this, the more I think we were wrong with our earlier harsh critiques. "the diet shall be derived solely from forage". I can interpret "forage" as being ANYTHING the calf finds out in the pasture on his own. THIS LINK doesn't say anything about boot stage. IF the cows go "foraging" in a ripe corn or wheat field they are still eating "forage". "I" could define grain as seed heads that have been through the combine and are marketable as grain. It is not "grain" until it is harvested. Until then it is "forage" and forage doesn't even have to be grass. Caleypeas, clover, alfalfa, leaves off trees, persimmons, kudzu, etc are all "forage" though they aren't "grass". Forage is just whatever the foraging calf finds growing in his field. And these are voluntary standards anyway so my interpretation is just as valid, legally, as anybody elses and I can't be sued on it anyway.

Workinonit Farm":3defi6lh said:
dcara":3defi6lh said:
It doesn't sound like the USDA has put enough thought into this new labeling standard yet and is likely to create more confusion.

And how is this any different from any other "thing" the Gov't is involved with? :roll:

Katherine

Yep, they sure messed up our Rural Electric Coops. Who would have thought us backwoods people needed electricity? Rural Water Districts? Who needs a clean, reliable source of water? If you don't have a good well, move to town!! And Social Security? Man, what a stupid idea. TRICARE? Those military people should just suck it up and not get sick. :roll:

Frankie":325hzsfp said:
Workinonit Farm":325hzsfp said:
dcara":325hzsfp said:

Katherine

Yep, they sure messed up our Rural Electric Coops. Who would have thought us backwoods people needed electricity? Rural Water Districts? Who needs a clean, reliable source of water? If you don't have a good well, move to town!! And Social Security? Man, what a stupid idea. TRICARE? Those military people should just suck it up and not get sick. :roll:

Frankie..REA and rural water systems BORROWED money from the Gov't to fund their development and expansion and they pay it back. They never were and still are not run by the Gov't....they are "coops"....owned by members and by the way, a good one pays great patronage dividends. Social security is broke and has been for years...just building up debt. As for military car....it comes with the job...sort of like baracko's personal physician...just pray you don' thave to spend time in a a VA hospital. By the way......Why do you always defend "Gov't" and their screwups?? Are you on the gov't sugar tit????

TexasBred":uufkdhmg said:
Frankie..REA and rural water systems BORROWED money from the Gov't to fund their development and expansion and they pay it back. They never were and still are not run by the Gov't....they are "coops"....owned by members and by the way, a good one pays great patronage dividends. Social security is broke and has been for years...just building up debt. As for military car....it comes with the job...sort of like baracko's personal physician...just pray you don' thave to spend time in a a VA hospital. By the way......Why do you always defend "Gov't" and their screwups?? Are you on the gov't sugar tit????

Nobody said rural electric co-ops were "run" by the government, but the government was certainly "involved" in their establishment which was the comment I responded to. If the government didn't loan money to the rural electric co-ops, you might not have electricity. I know that I wouldn't. So you can twist and spin all you want, but the US government gets much of the credit for us out here in the boonies having electricity. And for many of us having running water with the Rural Water Districts. Plus Federal grants do a lot to keeping rural fire departments running. Just to mention a few successful government programs.

Yep, TRICARE comes with the job, and it's good care...run by the government. So when ignorant people suggest the government can't do anything right, I feel duty bound to point to TRICARE and MEDICARE. Don't you use some of the services of your local Farm agents? Extension agents? You would probably say I'm on the government dole: we pretty much live on a military retirement check. I happen to think it's retirement well earned. I know lots of people who would be in deep do do if they didn't get that Social Security check every month. I'll bet you do, too.

I'm not defending "screwups". I'm simply pointing out that I and probably many others on these boards benefit from government programs. Why does that bother you? And why do you always bash any government program? I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that someone near and dear to you uses Medicare, draws Social Security, works for the Federal government, drives on Federal highways, or enjoys some sort of government benefits.

Edited to add:

As late as the mid-1930s, nine out of ten rural homes were without electric service. The farmer milked his cows by hand in the dim light of a kerosene lantern. His wife was a slave to the wood range and washboard.

The unavailability of electricity in rural areas kept their economies entirely and exclusively to agriculture. Factories and businesses, of course, preferred to locate in cities where electric power was easily acquired.

Even as late as July 1935, a group of utility company executives wrote a report in which they claimed that, in light of their earlier extensive research work, "there are very few farms requiring electricity for major farm operations that are not now served."

This was a statement that was later to haunt the commercial electric industry when the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) and the rural electric cooperatives proved how mistaken this concept was. For many years, however, power companies continued to ignore the rural areas of the nation, except where there were conditions necessary to assure early profits.

The first official action of the federal government pointing the way to the present rural electrification program came with the passage of the Tennessee Valley Act (TVA) in May 1933. This act authorized the TVA Board to construct transmission lines to serve "farms and small villages that are not otherwise supplied with electricity at reasonable rates."

The idea of providing federal assistance to accomplish rural electrification gained ground rapidly when President Roosevelt took office in 1933 and began his New Deal programs.

On May 11, 1935, Roosevelt signed Executive Order No. 7037 establishing the REA. It was not until a year later that the Rural Electrification Act was passed, and the lending program that became the REA got underway.

Within four years following the close of the war, the number of rural electric systems in operation doubled, the number of consumers connected more than tripled, and the miles of energized line grew more than five fold. By 1953, more than 90 percent of U.S. farms had electricity.

Today about 99 percent of the nation's farms have electric service. Most rural electrification is the product of locally owned rural electric cooperatives that got their start by borrowing funds from REA to build lines and provide service on a nonprofit basis. Today the REA is the Rural Utilities Service and is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

After almost 60 years, REA was abolished by a massive reorganization of the Department of Agriculture in 1994. Its responsibilities were transferred to a new agency, the Rural Utilities Service (RUS). The electric loan program continues to operate much as it did under REA.

An important part of the history of electric cooperatives has been the development of power marketing agencies (PMAs).

In 1937, the federal government established the first PMA, the Bonneville Power Administration. The government then went on to form four more PMAs to market the power generated at 133 federal dams across the country. Today there are three PMAs in addition to Bonneville: Southeastern Power Administration; Southwestern Power Administration; and Western Area Power Administration.

The federal law that governs PMAs gives preference in the sale of power at-cost to public bodies and electric cooperatives. The availability of low-cost power to electric cooperatives has promoted economic development and has offset the cost of serving sparsely populated areas.

http://www.nreca.org/AboutUs/Co-op101/CoopHistory.htm

All government has ever been good at is taking away from those people who do work and accomplish something.

Brandonm22":3vgxtcug said:
All government has ever been good at is taking away from those people who do work and accomplish something.

What a crock. I'll bet you went to public schools/university. But that's different, right? :roll: The original GI bill, alone, made a tremendous difference in the lives of individuals and the growth, health and strength of this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Bill

Quote "I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that someone near and dear to you uses Medicare, draws Social Security, works for the Federal government, drives on Federal highways, or enjoys some sort of government benefits"

Medicare is administered by private insurance companies, highways were built by private firm, only social security is run completely by the government. Big difference between things government funds, lends, supports, etc. than things they run. VA hospitals are generally less efficiently run than private hospital tho not always. Social security should be easy as it is primarily a check writing operation. The more involved an operation is the less likely the government can do it well.

Just remember that all the things the government does it does with taxpayer dollars, so it is the taxpayer we should thank for Mediare, Social Security and the like.

And on the coops. Non profit, subsided with low interest gov loans.

The states should merge those things with the existing power companies and eliminate a lot of useless administrative overhead while stopping these subsidies from other taxpayers. The energy companies are monoplies run by the state and the states could easily have required them to serve rural areas.

Douglas":31l4rjau said:
And on the coops. Non profit, subsided with low interest gov loans.

The states should merge those things with the existing power companies and eliminate a lot of useless administrative overhead while stopping these subsidies from other taxpayers. The energy companies are monoplies run by the state and the states could easily have required them to serve rural areas.

Doug it's hard to make some folks understand that what the government spends belongs to the taxpayers of the country. Just because it has US or Gov't in the title they have this grandious idea that the Pres. and Congress are actually "running things". I bet his goofball we have for pres. now can't tell you what TVA or REA even represents. He does know ACORN tho.

Frankie":2fjs7qwq said:
So when ignorant people suggest the government can't do anything right,

Frankie, we may disagree on this issue, but that's all it is... a difference of opinions.

Please do not call me names. I have not called you names. There is no need for that.

Katherine

Frankie":28wpc9w8 said:
Brandonm22":28wpc9w8 said:

What a crock. I'll bet you went to public schools/university. But that's different, right? :roll:

My Mother works in public education so I spent all 13 years in private Church schools.

Frankie do not waste your time, some people just do not get it....This board is full of them the conservative points of view, if you work the tax system, there are people here who think you are on welfare. Yet every businness in the country does it...The social security system was well ahead when Clinton left office, yet it is going busted now, not because it is falling but being robbed by the goverment..and they still think tha Obama is the problem....there are two parties in America one conservative and one crazy party and the crazy one is not the demo....When will we americans catch on, If you help the people you are building the country.....if you help business well Look what the last president help, and see where we are at...Them banks are doing good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts