Pelvic measurements

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to rething my idea that a large yearling pelvic size corresponds to a large mature frame.
We measured 2 of our smallest heifers yesterday, both out of small cows that were easy calvers.
#1 752 pounds pelvic 175, #2 762 pounds pelvic 154.
Heifers are well grown out, just not as big (by about 200 pounds) as the other yearlings heifers. 155 used to be my top for pelvic in a yearling.

novatech":3tvdcfid said:
What is your average birth weight?
Depends on the bull. Around 75-85 pounds but this year most have been the in 60 pound range with one at 101

Heifer weight does not always tell the whole story as shown by your measurements. I don't actualy measure mine but spread my fingers and throw out a guess. I hope you get another 60 pounder on the 154. I think the shape of newborn Brahmans keeps me out of a lot of trouble. That and I stay with bulls and cows that produce 80 lb. and below BW.

novatech":2xyhy6mc said:
Heifer weight does not always tell the whole story as shown by your measurements. I don't actualy measure mine but spread my fingers and throw out a guess. I hope you get another 60 pounder on the 154. I think the shape of newborn Brahmans keeps me out of a lot of trouble. That and I stay with bulls and cows that produce 80 lb. and below BW.
SHO-ME-SELECT heifers have a minimum pelvic of 150 and they're considered easy calving. My old standard was 144 minimum and we never had a problem even with 80 plus calves from heifers. This is just the first year that we've measured them oursleves and idn;t just go by how they felt at AI time.
Both of these are 14 high so they should have plenty of room by the time they're 2 and start calving. After seeing those numbers I wish we would have done the half Gelbvieh heifers.

The light weight is F1 Flekvieh Angus the other is straight bred Red Angus.
The Flek is Grannys calf (21 years old at the time) and the other was an orphan that she raised along with her own.

dun":3i0z2ws6 said:
Looks like I'm going to have to rething my idea that a large yearling pelvic size corresponds to a large mature frame.
We measured 2 of our smallest heifers yesterday, both out of small cows that were easy calvers.
#1 752 pounds pelvic 175, #2 762 pounds pelvic 154.
Heifers are well grown out, just not as big (by about 200 pounds) as the other yearlings heifers. 155 used to be my top for pelvic in a yearling.
After talking to you about pelvic size last yr I asked around to several AI guys and vets and they all reccomend an yrlng average of 175 for a hfr that matures at 12-1300lbs
All of mine this yr ran between 172 and 195 on the hfrs I kept

Farmgirl":2i4b39ap said:
Dun,

What do you think about the West River calves?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
I don;t care for them, nothing specific just not to my eye. But they do make some really good cows.

I was told to take pelvic mesurement on the group of heifer you want to keep and sell the bottom 20% and you will very little calving problems

Stocker Steve":az6f6i0d said:
dun":az6f6i0d said:
After seeing those numbers I wish we would have done the half Gelbvieh heifers.

Gelbvieh X hiefers are heavier or what?
Gelbvieh X heifers are 150-175 pounds heavier and about 4 inches taller. These 2 just look small in comparison, but their mommas were only around a FS 5

dun":2sied5mt said:
novatech":2sied5mt said:
Depends on the bull. Around 75-85 pounds but this year most have been the in 60 pound range with one at 101

What do you think is the reason for the low birth weights?

dun":3g3f2it9 said:
Gelbvieh X heifers are 150-175 pounds heavier and about 4 inches taller. These 2 just look small in comparison, but their mommas were only around a FS 5

What is the average wt of you english cows?
What do you think will be the mature weight of the Gelbvieh cross heifers?

RD-Sam":2gi827kv said:
dun":2gi827kv said:
novatech":2gi827kv said:

What do you think is the reason for the low birth weights?
I think it's just the bull, his calves have alwasy tended small and this year we used him a lot more then usual.

Stocker Steve":3kbszgor said:
dun":3kbszgor said:

What is the average wt of you english cows?
What do you think will be the mature weight of the Gelbvieh cross heifers?
The mothers of the "twins" are/were around 1200. Same as the dams of the Gelbvieh X calves. I think these will mature closer to 1500, seems like all of our Gelbvieh cross calves turn out bigger then either parent.

Latest posts