pelletized lime

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I got 2 pallets of pelletized lime from a friend of mine who owns a landscaping supply business they are ripped and busted bags ... has anyone ever used pelletized to put on a pasture or hay field? Should i even use it on a pasture or hayfield?

Good I will spread it shis weekend... I normally used pulverized lime as you say and buy by the tons but I got this and figured id try it out.

I rent out 4 acres of pasture to a friend to keep his horses I wouldnt have a horse if you gave me 10 they would be sold asap.

Pelletized lime will work quite well. You can get by using it a much lower rate than regular ag lime. About 200-300#/ac compared to 1 ton/ac. The reason for this is because the grind on the lime for pelleting is much, much finer than that of ag lime resulting in about a 10 fold increase in available surface area to react with the soil particles. This also allows pelletized lime to work much faster. About 30 days. The downside is that all neutralizing effect is gone in about 6-9 months. So it has to be applied every growing season. Whereas regular ag lime takes 6 months to begin working and will continue working for 2-4 years beacuse of the much larger particle size making it much harder to disolve into the soil. I remember a year back in the 90's when it got too wet after the harvest a lot of row crop farmers could not get on their fields until April. A lot of them mixed pelletized lime in with their pre-plant fertilizer which worked quite well for that year. They still came back and spread regular ag lime in the fall. It was too costly to use on yearly basis.

Mid South Guy":2ip1nyhc said:
Pelletized lime will work quite well. You can get by using it a much lower rate than regular ag lime. About 200-300#/ac compared to 1 ton/ac. The reason for this is because the grind on the lime for pelleting is much, much finer than that of ag lime resulting in about a 10 fold increase in available surface area to react with the soil particles. This also allows pelletized lime to work much faster. About 30 days. The downside is that all neutralizing effect is gone in about 6-9 months. So it has to be applied every growing season. Whereas regular ag lime takes 6 months to begin working and will continue working for 2-4 years beacuse of the much larger particle size making it much harder to disolve into the soil. I remember a year back in the 90's when it got too wet after the harvest a lot of row crop farmers could not get on their fields until April. A lot of them mixed pelletized lime in with their pre-plant fertilizer which worked quite well for that year. They still came back and spread regular ag lime in the fall. It was too costly to use on yearly basis.
Actually there is no research that supports it acts any faster then Lime meeting most state lime laws. If the calcium equivilent of quarry or pelletized lime is 90% then putting on 300 lbs. of pelletized vs. 2000 lbs. of ag lime in whatever form it is scientifically impossible to get more buffering capacity from the smaller amount of pelletized lime.

hayray":di2inef8 said:
Mid South Guy":di2inef8 said:
Actually there is no research that supports it acts any faster then Lime meeting most state lime laws. If the calcium equivilent of quarry or pelletized lime is 90% then putting on 300 lbs. of pelletized vs. 2000 lbs. of ag lime in whatever form it is scientifically impossible to get more buffering capacity from the smaller amount of pelletized lime.
the pelletized lime will have a higher% of ENM than a quarried lime because of the smaller particle size

pelletized is 90% dissolvable ENM from what I have seen
and most quarried lime will run in the 4-700 range of ENM pr ton
so therefore if you use pelletized you can put out 2/3 less and get the same ENM as you get in putting out quarried But the pelletized does dissolve faster and will not last as long

Thanks AC for that ENM information, I was not sure what that value meant as that now seems to be a newer term. University of Missouri had info. on that. Seems that on average you could apply about 75-80% of the value of bulk ag lime because of the average ENM values of most types of limes. Studies at Michigan State showed that pelletized lime actually reacted slower with the soil because of the time it takes for the binding agent to break down and that bulk ag lime being spread more as a dust is more evenly distributed. Either way, pelletized lime is hardly cost effective in most cases.

Actually there is research available at the national fertilizer foundation that clearly shows smaller aglime particles react much faster than larger ones. Basically particles in the 40-60 mesh range react in the 18 - 30 months. This size is very common in aglime produced in aggregate quarries who have crushers designed to make base for roads and larger rock sizes. Aglime passing a 100 mesh screen will react in approximately 3 months. There is a publication " Aglime Facts" that has this chart available in it. I would urge anyone buying aglime to ask their supplier for its RNV (relative neutralizing value), the higher the number the more bang for your buck and the faster it will act!

skyhightree1":mfjptqus said:
I rent out 4 acres of pasture to a friend to keep his horses I wouldnt have a horse if you gave me 10 they would be sold asap.

Hey Sky, look at this from 3 years ago. Sell ASAP huh. :lol2:

kenny thomas":rk3qywji said:
skyhightree1":rk3qywji said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Time to put up or shut up big boy!

kenny thomas":20gzhr37 said:
skyhightree1":20gzhr37 said:

:oops: Technically I do not own any my wife does :lol2: This is one of those times where something that she owns is truly hers and I have no stake in it :D but I am embarassed :oops: :oops:

Deepsouth":20gzhr37 said:
kenny thomas":20gzhr37 said:
skyhightree1":20gzhr37 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Time to put up or shut up big boy!

:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

Kenny I think it was really cruel to dredge this up from the past, the most disheartening aspect of it,is I didn't do it first :D

And I bet Virginia is one of those states where spouses own things jointly even if they don't want to...

danl":2763ytnu said:
Kenny I think it was really cruel to dredge this up from the past, the most disheartening aspect of it,is I didn't do it first :D

And I bet Virginia is one of those states where spouses own things jointly even if they don't want to...

Sure it is so they are half Sky's. Guess we know who is the boss in that family. :devil2:

Kind of sheds a light on why they have always said "never say never"

Well he didn't exactly say never but he implied never. I think it would hold up in court :D

Latest posts