Peculiar Cattle Behavior?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Can't figure this one out. On one farm that I rent I noticed that every week or so I'd see a cow show up at feeding time with mud on her face and body. She would look like she had fell down the pond dam or something. Usually only one cow at the time, but not the same cow every time. So I got curious and started trying to figure out why. And this is what I've got. When this particular pond was dug some of the excess clay was piled around the pond. Piles are about 12 feet high. These cows are going up to a couple of the piles and rubbing their heads, faces, bodies in the clay. Why?

I figure they are using it as make up. We have some that do it, most don;t. Granny alwasy walked around all caked up with mud on her face. They're cows, what more can I say

Img_2111-ghostLSB.jpg

There was a pile of lime-rock ready for the tracks... They'll rub in anything, my cows.

They love to do that, our herd bull always is getting into muddy areas, rubbing in this and that-the cows rub on trees, whatever, if its clay or mud, could be because its cool

If I let my cows anywhere near an eroded embankment, the first thing they do is go dig in it... As dun said, they're "putting on the makeup"... I had a good laugh once when I was bringing a cow to the bull, and along the way she had to make herself pretty for the occasion... I don't know if it's just because of an itch (I can't imagine dirt not itching after a while), or if it's a display of ferocity, dominance, or whatnot.