Pearl Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
If I spray a few fields using round up to kill everything off how long should I wait before planting Pearl Millet ? I looked all over but no definitive answer.

M-5":3756itk7 said:
round up should not effect seed as long as no residual is used with it. it only kills the plants it touches and by the time the seed germinates its long gone.

Thanks I was planning on discing the field after the plants died then using conventional drill

Last year I sowed pearl millet 8 days after spraying with roundup. I sprayed everything and after it turned browned about 7 days later I disced the field up sowed and cultipacked the next day.

M-5 I'm still in the Stone Age of planting. I would love to have a no till drill but can't justify the cost when all we plant is a couple acres of summer annuals and come back with wheat in the fall.

I've never really had trouble with weeds on the summer annuals. Usually the millet outgrows everything and chokes it out pretty quick.

I wouldn't spray Roundup to kill cow feed to plant more cow feed. I disc, do all and then drill my pearl millet and some years I have a good stand of volunteer crab grass in with the millet. I like anything that grows that a cow will eat.

True Grit Farms":aou2hgaa said:
I wouldn't spray Roundup to kill cow feed to plant more cow feed. I disc, do all and then drill my pearl millet and some years I have a good stand of volunteer crab grass in with the millet. I like anything that grows that a cow will eat.

I agree I stopped spraying pastures.. this is what I got.. this is why I want to spray then disc or I can use a drill and not disc. Opinions?

I have a good bit of voluntary oats In there

pearl millet is way too small of a seed to use with a conventional drill IMO.

kentuckyguy... anyone around you that rents no tills? try the seed guys.. I know southern states has a few they rent out and also I know a amish guy that I used to rent one from who was a seed salesman..

$10.00 / ac is what I paid.

skyhightree1":1dh5zqh1 said:
True Grit Farms":1dh5zqh1 said:

I agree I stopped spraying pastures.. this is what I got.. this is why I want to spray then disc or I can use a drill and not disc. Opinions?

I have a good bit of voluntary oats In there

I'd spray and no till

ddd75":24xx1nr0 said:
pearl millet is way too small of a seed to use with a conventional drill IMO.

kentuckyguy... anyone around you that rents no tills? try the seed guys.. I know southern states has a few they rent out and also I know a amish guy that I used to rent one from who was a seed salesman..

$10.00 / ac is what I paid.

I have a no till drill

M-5":2owiwexs said:
If you could plant without discing you will cut down on weeds coming back up.

Totally agree. Just amazes me how weed seeds can sit dormant in the soil for centuries (seems like) and you roll the soil and here comes a new crop.

Latest posts