Pearl Millet- Nitrogen ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just wanted to know what all of you Pearl Millet guys put on as far as nitrogen goes. Also what kind of stocking rates you used. Have heard everything from 40 to 140 units of N per acre. Would be especially interested if anyone knew how much N is needed to produce 1 ton of dry matter. Finally, would like to know if anybody has run stockers on it and if so what sort of ADG's you had. Thanks

I start out with 50 units of N. Depending on rainfall I may follow this with another 50-60 just depends. Rule of thumb here is 1 lb for each grazing day.

My buddy runs stockers and he tries to keep his costs to less than $0.70/day and is content with 3.2/lbs/day carrying 3 weights to 6.

Jogeephus":2o4jpv2x said:
I start out with 50 units of N. Depending on rainfall I may follow this with another 50-60 just depends. Rule of thumb here is 1 lb for each grazing day.

My buddy runs stockers and he tries to keep his costs to less than $0.70/day and is content with 3.2/lbs/day carrying 3 weights to 6.

Did I understand correctly that your friend carries 3 calves per acre until they are 600 lbs?

John Holmquist":3sv1oumw said:
Jogeephus":3sv1oumw said:

Did I understand correctly that your friend carries 3 calves per acre until they are 600 lbs?

I was only giving you the weight brackets he works in. He will run 4 per acre of this size.

Preplant we usually put down 50 units/ac of N, due to the possibility of excess Nitrates during a dry spell before grazing. Millet becomes pure poison if there was more than 50 units applied per acre preplant when it is really dry-- so less N is better during establishment as you can never count on the weather. We do use 40# per acre where we plan on grazing cow/calf pairs seeded with a grain drill. Stocking rates for cow/calf pairs normally runs about 6 cow calf pairs / acre limit grazed.
For stockers we plant 20# per acre and put the same N/ac. Stocking rates range from 4.8 to 7 AUM's. ADG for stockers: Steers - from 2.5 to 2.99 and Heifers: 2.25 to 2.5

John Holmquist":2cm5v97i said:
Just wanted to know what all of you Pearl Millet guys put on as far as nitrogen goes. Also what kind of stocking rates you used. Have heard everything from 40 to 140 units of N per acre. Would be especially interested if anyone knew how much N is needed to produce 1 ton of dry matter. Finally, would like to know if anybody has run stockers on it and if so what sort of ADG's you had. Thanks

Latest posts