pearl millet for winter hay

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
My guy I usually buy hay from is wanting me to try some pearl millet he has planted. I've researched it and it sounds like a quality hay--my biggest concern is that he may have let it get too tall. He says it is 36 inches high or better now--he wants me to come look at it tomorrow and if I want it he will cut it now. Otherwise he is going to graze it. My research ive done mentioned letting it get too tall reduces the quality of nutrients. Any advice will be appreciated--it will run $30 per roll.

millet makes good hay.years ago we used to cut some millet hay for friends that didnt have crimper cutter.the truth is you just cant beat getting it for $30 a bale.how big are the bales.3ft tall is passed the grazing stage in my eyes.as they will tromp down alot of it and waste it.

I've baled it before and its fair hay. Its course though so it won't store well in the weather but if you are going to feed it this year you should be fine.

I grew it 3 seasons to use for horses and cows both. Only real worry with it at all is nitrate poisoning. If the field had N put on it, or was drought stressed, I'd test it before feeding it out.

10402549_901731976509520_468639270775491326_n.jpg
Make sure it is good and dry before putting it in a barn.36" shouldn't be too tall but it will be hard to get it dry. I planted some 40 days ago and baled and wrapped it today. I'm going to let the rest grow a few more days to around 36-40". Makes very good"haylage" and the cows will eat every straw.

Lots of folks grow it in west Texas instead of hay grazer because prussic acid insnt a problem like hay grazer
There is some waste but it's good feed and they'll eat it and get full and lay down and chew their cud ( I guess cause it coarser than grass hay)
instead of like they do with good grass hay and gorge themselves

Its more coarse, stemmy and higher NDF so cattle fill up faster. Just don't let it get to tall before cutting and baline or it will be pretty low quality. Otherwise good stuff.

Thanks for the info. I did not getca chance to go see the field. He is telling me it is every bit of 40 inches high. He said he fertilized very light, want to say with slag? No clue what tgat is honestly. My main concern is that he has let it get too tall.