Peanut Cake

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX":3awksrr2 said:
Anybody have much experience feeding peanut cake as a supplement? Seems cheaper than cottonseed cake this year. 39% crude protein, 3% crude fat, 16% crude fiber.

BTW, I was reading up on it and came across an interesting table:

http://images.beef-mag.com/files/13/feedcomp2002.pdf

Craig-TX

Craig never tried the cake, used to bail peanut hay for the cows. The only problem I had was they liked the hay to well, to much protien, does the cake have a limiter. Serious I had to really control their intake on the peanut hay.

It won't need a limiter because this will be for supplement only. They will only get it when they're getting checked, enough to keep them in good shape through the winter and just enough the rest of the year to keep them cake broke.

I can't see why it wouldn't be just as good as cottonseed cake or cubes. I guess I'm basically wondering if it's more prone to mildew or if there were any other considerations I'm not thinking of.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":3clsrmn7 said:
It won't need a limiter because this will be for supplement only. They will only get it when they're getting checked, enough to keep them in good shape through the winter and just enough the rest of the year to keep them cake broke.

I can't see why it wouldn't be just as good as cottonseed cake or cubes. I guess I'm basically wondering if it's more prone to mildew or if there were any other considerations I'm not thinking of.

Craig-TX

Peanut hay is real bad to mildew. Reason I quit using it.

Going to try some this winter. Live few miles from Gormon. Will get back on results.

sidney411":31xh9xvy said:
Craig

Where do you get it? We buy range cubes, are they the cottonseed cubes?

your regular cubes are probably not cottonseed cubes. you have to specify cottonseed cubes when purchasing if that's what you want.

TheBullLady":1otxayzs said:
Right on the cubes.. they are generally 20% protein, and much higher priced than the regular cubes.

they are higher priced than the regular cubes, but sometimes a better deal because of the higher protein.

At Gormon Milling they have several types like most. Peanut and Cotton seed are the same price. 5.75. The cheapest are like a dollor cheaper. To me worth it.